7.5 or 8 stopper for plastic gallon jugs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pantherburn

Reaction score
Hello,

I was thinking of using leftover gallon jugs for secondary fermentation - bad idea? I am just starting hard cider making and have some Musselman’s empty 1 gallon plastic jugs. It appears that a 7.5 or 8 stopper may fit, but was wondering if anyone has practical experience using these that could offer some advice.

Thanks.

Thank you Maylar. I can confirm that neither a 6 or 6.5 is large enough as I have those sizes.

Regards,

Yes, the type that store bought juice comes in. Don’t go to a lot of trouble, I can dig up my calipers and figure out the best size. From measuring with a tape it is kind of on the borderline between the 7.5 and 8 stopper.

Hello,

I was thinking of using leftover gallon jugs for secondary fermentation - bad idea? I am just starting hard cider making and have some Musselman’s empty 1 gallon plastic jugs. It appears that a 7.5 or 8 stopper may fit, but was wondering if anyone has practical experience using these that could offer some advice.

Thanks.
I have used the jugs I purchased my juice in as secondary with no trouble, I have never air locked them because I make sure the fermentation is 100% done before moving out of primary.

The Musselman's jug is different than a standard 1 gallon milk jug. The only one I have was from a gallon of Poland Springs water, and a #6 bung fits but barely.
Sorry.

If all else fails, carry the jug into your LHBS and ask them for a drilled bung to fit it. The lady at my local shop is more than happy to help even tho she knows the firsr place I look for anything is her used bin/ buckets.

Latest posts

Back