60 vs 120 cone fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royger

Reaction score
Hello

I'm debating myself between buying a fermenter with a 120° or 60° cone angle. They both have the same pressure rating and ports, but the one with the 120° cone is slightly shorter and cheaper. Is it possible to dump yeast/trub/hops with a 120° cone?

Both have a 2" TC port at the bottom.

Thanks, Roger.

If you have no intention of bottling straight from the fermenter then there is probably less need to be able to dump all the trub. Certainly after dumping most of the trub, the beer will flow clean enough from those with side not steep enough. And many have a side spigot to drain out of too that wouldn't even be affected by trub.

Though I use a conical with steep sides, I'm not of the opinion that trub is bad. Every beer I left in the FV on a thick layer of trub for as long as six weeks was a great beer for me. No secondary needed.

Thanks both for the replies. I don't care that much about harvesting yeast, but some recipes call for dumping yeast before adding dry hops, or even doing multiple dry hop additions and dumping the previous spent ones. I guess if nothing else the bottom TC port in the 120° cone will be useful for adding a ball lock post to inject CO2 and rouse the dry hops.

Back