• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

60 Gallon Soup Kettle, and more

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlin306

Reaction score
available via:

http://wisconsinsurplus.com

scroll down to:

#12284-80 - University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire

Available: several large soup kettles

Now, I'd be lying if I told you that I knew you could use these for home brewing, but I figured if anybody knew, it'd be the folks here.

Pretty sure these are usually steam jacketed; it may or may not be complete. I think they usually run on 3-phase too.

Model is Groen GPT-60

Bell's Brewery in Michigan was started on a similar 15 gallon model; they just expanded to be able to produce up to 500K barrels/year. One can dream...

I use a 60 gallon jacketed steam kettle that is self contained. These appear not to be self contained and may need a steam source. I love my kettle and it works great.

man I wish I lived in wisconsin... ha I would be all over a couple of these kitchen items.

Wish that I knew some kitchen auction places in central NY

Can we see pictures of this 60 gallon soup kettle?

You can see mine here . Mine is propane self contained. Most if not all kettles this size will be 3 phase if electric. Most of the large ones at this auction are "direct steam" kettles meaning they need an external steam source. I have considered finding another direct steam model and use it as a giant jacketed mash tun. It would be a HERMS configuration using my current steam kettle for HLT during mash recirculate. I have an instant hot water heater that can supply strike and sparge water on demand. I have been finding direct fire 60 gallon kettles from $600.00 up at various actions.

When you mention instant water heater do you mean a tankless water heater. How, when or do you even filter the water? Is this just for your brewery or for the whole house?

bagchi3 said:
When you mention instant water heater do you mean a tankless water heater. How, when or do you even filter the water? Is this just for your brewery or for the whole house?

Tankless and water is filtered prior to entering the heater. It is dedicated to the brewery and their is a control panel beside it to set desired temp. Click on my link below to see the configuration "MaxOut Brewstation on HBT "

Latest posts

Back