6 vs 2 row barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoallcumbrews

Reaction score
Just wanted some opinions on barley. I found a supply of 6 row unmalted barley for 5 bux a bushel and wondered if anyone had any experience with using it instead of 2 row and what the difference is?

6 row has higher enzymes than 2 row- making it great when using large amounts of adjuncts like corn or rice. a google search will lead you to the other major differences

Just wanted some opinions on barley. I found a supply of 6 row unmalted barley for 5 bux a bushel and wondered if anyone had any experience with using it instead of 2 row and what the difference is?

Are you thinking on using the 6-row unmalted to replace the malted 2-row? It won't work. To activate the enzymes that perform the conversion from starch to sugar requires that the barley be malted.

If you want to use some of the unmalted barley with some malted, treat it like flaked barley but probably would need a cereal mash first to gelatinize the starches.

It's hard to find 2 row barley in my area and I don't want to pay 40 - 100 bux for only 50 pounds.

If I'm not mistaken, 6 row has a much higher diastatic power than 2 row. I know that sounds like it's more awesome, however I have read about some less awesome things that come with that.

Personal experience, most of the beers that I ended up using more 6 row for came out with a lot less flavors than I wanted. I have since started adding it to some mashes with higher starch contents to help break those starches down.

Extract potential and diastatic power aside I use 6-row in quite a few of my recipes and 100% base Malt in some.
It adds a grainy flavor/texture that is part of the style for a lot of my beers.

Latest posts

Back