6 Stone Clone recipes in Dec. 08's BYO Mag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clone recipes will differ from the brewery recipe simply because of process, batch size and geometry of the equipment.

If we both brew the same pale ale recipe it will still be different, even on the same hardware. The clone recipe would use different ingredients to accomplish flavors that Stone achieves by process.

The BYO article said these were recipes built with input from the head brewer.

I completely understand that but I think if you're trying to clone the IPA, you're going to be way off using Perle and an English strain of yeast in a fairly clean American IPA like Stone's, even on our equipment.

Did anyone brew the Stone IPA clone from BYO yet? there are a few clones of the IPA knocking around and I am interested does this version come close. I am also interested whether you used the english ale yeast or an american strain.
cheers

Agreed. There's something like 12 recipes in that issue that I can recall off the top of my head, including Boulevard Nutcracker. Saving that one for next Christmas.

Can someone post the Nutcracker recipe for me or pm it to me :tank:

Correct me if im wrong but I thought eh difference between a whiskey and a scotch (not inducing location) was that whiskey is fired by wood and scotch by peat. I know Jamison (not single or good) is wood fired.

Not all scotch is fired by peat moss (macallan and most, if not all the speyside stuff for example). Actually the most commercially available stuff as far as single malts are concerned, like glenfiddich and glenlivet, has no peat moss used in its firing. Scotch is just whisky made in scotland and aged for at least 3 years (there are some other restrictions about alcohol and such, but i forget those).

humann_brewing:

I brewed the recipe, and was worried about the amber malt, too. Here's my grain bill:
16.88 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 79.89 %
1.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5.92 %
1.00 lb Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 4.73 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4.73 %
0.50 lb Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.37 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2.37 %

The malt profile is VERY close. This represents 4 batches of stout trying to get close to Stone's. BTW, the closest I have come uses 2.25 oz of Warrior. Even the plain BYO recipe is nice, but not as big as the real deal.

The yeast is actually nice for this stout... stick with it. I tried Notty, and it's very close, too.

My $0.02

r2eng, I am planning on brewing this BYO Stone RIS recipe as printed using a couple of packets of US-04. What changes would you recommend? I am concerned about the lack of crystal in this recipe. I realize it has a big grain bill but just about all RIS recipes have a fair amount of crystal in them...

Would you recommend any other RIS recipes over this one?

Thanks.

The amber malt in this one will cover the crystal. It's a solid recipe.

I wouldn't use the S-04: I have had slow finished and under attenuation with it (IMO). Nottingham would be good.

If you are interested, here's my recipe: age for 3 months. I have had a couple already this evening! It's pretty close.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Stone RIS
Brewer: Regner
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (47.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.089 SG
Estimated Color: 44.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 121.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (90 min) Hops 93.0 IBU
2.00 oz Sterling [8.70 %] (20 min) Hops 28.2 IBU
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 21.13 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 31.70 qt of water at 159.1 F 150.0 F
10 min Sparge Add 15.11 qt of water at 210.4 F 168.0 F

Notes:
------
Modified recipe from BYO, Dec. 2008. 2# of Amber malt seemed too much. Made up the difference with Munich and oats.

I guess I am confused about the Amber Malt. It is just a kilned base malt to 7L, no? So it does not seem like a substitute for crystal as it will be fermentable. Furthermore, I am confused about the Munich malt substitution as it is at least 7L so I am not sure how this change would do much. Anyway, I am curious to hear your response. Thanks.

oh man, i've been thinking about brewing a stone RIS clone for a while now and heres the recipe! Gonna have to do a 5 gallon batch as there is simply no way I can mash 40+ lbs of grain in my tun.

humann_brewing:

I brewed the recipe, and was worried about the amber malt, too. Here's my grain bill:

The malt profile is VERY close. This represents 4 batches of stout trying to get close to Stone's. BTW, the closest I have come uses 2.25 oz of Warrior. Even the plain BYO recipe is nice, but not as big as the real deal.

The yeast is actually nice for this stout... stick with it. I tried Notty, and it's very close, too.

My $0.02

wow, that was an old post you replied to. I brewed the RIS back in Feb and am drinking it over this winter and think it will age well into the following winters as well. It is mighty tasty right now ;)

I'm brewing the Ruination clone (extract) tomorrow night - I'm making a starter tonight so hopefully 24 hrs is enough lead time for my yeasties to turn beasties. Completely stoked to get this batch going; Ruination has turned into one of my favorite beers.

I'll be brewing the IPA clone tomorrow, so stoked. If it even tastes remotely close I'll be happy saving money on this addiction to expensive beer I've developed. All thanks to this forum! Damn you tasty beers, damn you...

Anyone brew the IPA clone yet? Results?

I'll be brewing the IPA clone tomorrow, so stoked. If it even tastes remotely close I'll be happy saving money on this addiction to expensive beer I've developed. All thanks to this forum! Damn you tasty beers, damn you...

Anyone brew the IPA clone yet? Results?

I think the biggest thing the article had wrong was the yeast, you should use WLP007 instead of WLP002.

I think the biggest thing the article had wrong was the yeast, you should use WLP007 instead of WLP002.

How much of a difference will that make?

On a separate but somewhat related note, I posted clips of my ruination fermenting with WLP002 in the video section. There was a wild party goin on in that carboy!

I brewed with the Wyeast 1968 London ESB, but unfortunately had a really bad brewday. Everything was perfect...until my hydrometer broke. I was angry but I had to move on...until my hopscreen got so jammed with gunk that it didn't even flow. I only got about 3 gallons, most of which was super oxidized because of all the adjustments I had to make just to get it out. Might just dump the batch I have a bad feeling that it's going to be contaminated.

I did the Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout for my second St Patty's day brew last week and pitched two packs of S-04.

That stuff was BLACK going into the bucket!

I'm bottling my Ruination clone tomorrow night. Didn't get as much attenuation as I wanted...she's currently sitting at 1.020 exactly. Taste tested the sample and it was quite sharp (alcohol-wise) but tasted very much like Ruination. Can't wait regardless!

I'm bottling my Ruination clone tomorrow night. Didn't get as much attenuation as I wanted...she's currently sitting at 1.020 exactly. Taste tested the sample and it was quite sharp (alcohol-wise) but tasted very much like Ruination. Can't wait regardless!

I was going to start one today, but my crusher broke. Fixed it, but don't have a big enough window to do mash today.

Everyone says this is supposed to get pretty attenuated, so Pacman, WLP001/US05 or WLP007 are often recommended, as is a fairly low mash temp. But tasting Ruination, it doesn't taste super dry to me, like there is "some" residual sweetness or "something". One recipe I saw had a bit more crystal than most, but it might be the yeast (WLP007), which is supposed to add some flavor while still being attentive.

I'm going with Yooper's recipe but using up some pale ale malt, US-05, and Columbus for bittering, which is what Ruination currently uses. Will have to buy a bottle of the real thing for an A-B test when finished.

I am fortunate that I live only miles from Stone Brewery. If anyone ever comes out to San Diego, drop me a line and ill let you know where it is and meet you there. You think the beer is god from the bottle, try it from the tap!

I was going to start one today, but my crusher broke. Fixed it, but don't have a big enough window to do mash today.

Everyone says this is supposed to get pretty attenuated, so Pacman, WLP001/US05 or WLP007 are often recommended, as is a fairly low mash temp. But tasting Ruination, it doesn't taste super dry to me, like there is "some" residual sweetness or "something". One recipe I saw had a bit more crystal than most, but it might be the yeast (WLP007), which is supposed to add some flavor while still being attentive.

I'm going with Yooper's recipe but using up some pale ale malt, US-05, and Columbus for bittering, which is what Ruination currently uses. Will have to buy a bottle of the real thing for an A-B test when finished.

My six-pack of Ruination has been steadily decreasing over the past week. I hope the final two can last for a side-by-side when priming is complete!

I'm brewing up the Stone IPA recipe (all-grain) this weekend. Decided to go with 20L crystal. How does one get 15L crystal when they don't even make it? Just do a 50/50 of 10L and 20L?

I'm looking forward to this brew. Came close to pulling the trigger on the Ruination but I'll wait until later this year to make that one.

I'm brewing up the Stone IPA recipe (all-grain) this weekend. Decided to go with 20L crystal. How does one get 15L crystal when they don't even make it? Just do a 50/50 of 10L and 20L?

I'm looking forward to this brew. Came close to pulling the trigger on the Ruination but I'll wait until later this year to make that one.
http://morebeer.com/view_product/17135/102156/Crystal_15

They do make it. Different maltsters make different colors. And not every LHBS has every maltster's crystals (and they usually only have one brand). Don't worry about it, I would just use 20.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/17135/102156/Crystal_15

They do make it. Different maltsters make different colors. And not every LHBS has every maltster's crystals (and they usually only have one brand). Don't worry about it, I would just use 20.

I use the 15 from Morebeer. They claim their 10 was darker than the 15 half the time, so 10, 15, or 20 can probably be used interchangeably without much difference. I just buy the 15, and use it for either 10 or 20.

My Ruination clone is so close in taste/appearance to the real thing! The SWMBO actually prefers mine, so that works out well.

However, I had a foam/head question. it's been well over 3 weeks since I bottled and I'm having an issue with foam on my ruination clone. Basically, when poured, it's acting like it's only been 1 week or 2 in the priming phase - and half of the pint glass becomes foam.

I'm not sure if it needs more time to calm down as it was a bit of a bigger beer or what else is causing the foam. Any thoughts?

Interesting. If its fully carbed, I would probably just go with it. You might have just over carbed a bit. Hoppier beers retain foam more anyway because of something (can't remember what) in the hops. You could either try cooling the beer more or getting the glass closer to the temperature of the beer. Both of these reduce foaming. Don't put the glasses in the freezer (this ain't Coors Light :) ), but you could put them in the fridge. If the beer is too cold after these steps, just let it warm up for a bit on the counter before drinking.

Interesting. If its fully carbed, I would probably just go with it. You might have just over carbed a bit. Hoppier beers retain foam more anyway because of something (can't remember what) in the hops. You could either try cooling the beer more or getting the glass closer to the temperature of the beer. Both of these reduce foaming. Don't put the glasses in the freezer (this ain't Coors Light :) ), but you could put them in the fridge. If the beer is too cold after these steps, just let it warm up for a bit on the counter before drinking.

I've tried refrigerating the pint glasses...still with the same result. I'm guessing that it's what you said: because of the dryhop, the normal amount of priming sugar was a little too much in this case. In this specific instance, what might be the remedy? Time? Patience after pouring? It certainly doesn't take away from the taste. That's for sure.

Has anyone noticed that the dry hopping for the extract ruination recipe says to use 22oz of Centennial!!! :drunk: I gave the recipe to a friend that does extract and didn't catch it until he told me the hops alone were going to cost him 40 bucks! haha, awesome!

Has anyone noticed that the dry hopping for the extract ruination recipe says to use 22oz of Centennial!!! :drunk: I gave the recipe to a friend that does extract and didn't catch it until he told me the hops alone were going to cost him 40 bucks! haha, awesome!

there are a few mistakes in those recipes, but that's probably the worst of them. hopefully no one actually follows through on it!

the SRMs listed also seem wonky. ex: they list an SRM of 10 for Stone IPA...I can't believe it's much higher than 7, if that.

Well my friend just started brewing and doesn't know any better yet. Luckily he didn't buy it yet or he'd have plenty of Centennial Blonde to make.

I am pretty sure they give the color in EBC (what most brewers use). To convert to SRM you basically divide by 2...

i'm not sure which 'they' you are referring to (i.e. stone brewing or byo), but the byo recipe states srm=10 for stone ipa....see page 4 of this thread, the recipe is posted there.

By "they" I mean that the Stone brewer gave the color in EBC and the BYO writer assumed this was SRM and stated it as such in the article... I have the actual magazine article, I do not need to refer to page 4 of the thread.

I noticed that when I first read it. I was like, WTF!??!?!

Back