Anchorage A Deal With The Devil clone ? (Barleywine, 17%, oak, galaxy hops... $100/bottle)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still thinking about brewing this beer. Not sure when it is going to happen as it appears I need to get a few more things in order before I do - 2nd stir plate, larger flasks, wort oxygenation system, new fermentors and probably a Tilt hydrometer or something similar, so I don't have to continuously sample as it ferments.

From what I've read about this beer - it is 100% Maris Otter malt - this is a robust base malt, and can easily give you a wide array of flavors described by the tasters, especially when coupled with long boils/maillard reactions/kettle caramelization (is his system direct fire?)/oak fermentation. Plenty of dark fruit flavors!

That is a very interesting inference. I agree that Maris Otter would lend itself to those favors even if it wasn't used in the original recipe. Plain pale malt would have a very plain flavor.

Regarding maillard/carmelization - under what conditions does this happen ? My system boils 6+ gallons vigorously, right on the edge of boiling over, but there is no dark matter left on the kettle bottom. There is no scorching or burning. Boiling happens at 207-208F with an open kettle Boil off is 1 to 1.5 gallons per hour. Heat input is 5 Kw in an 11 gallon pot via induction.

Will the wort undergo maillard reactions/carmelization under these conditions ? Or do I need to dig up a propane burner ?

Thanks to everyone for their input in this thread.

I need to get a few more things in order before I do - 2nd stir plate, larger flasks, wort oxygenation system,
Did you miss what I wrote earlier regarding yeast propagation using a single plate, one 2 liter flask, and a couple growlers or jugs? 2 weeks can grow a lot of yeast from one single pack.

You could pump air into your beer continuously for 12-18 hours after pitching, using a 2 micron stone.
Or use one of those small disposable O2 tanks from the hardware store, a flow adjuster ('regulator') and a .5 micron stone.

Regarding maillard/carmelization - under what conditions does this happen ? My system boils 6+ gallons vigorously, right on the edge of boiling over, but there is no dark matter left on the kettle bottom. There is no scorching or burning. Boiling happens at 207-208F with an open kettle Boil off is 1 to 1.5 gallons per hour. Heat input is 5 Kw in an 11 gallon pot via induction.

Will the wort undergo maillard reactions/carmelization under these conditions ? Or do I need to dig up a propane burner ?
You need concentrated wort, like first runnings, to get most Maillard and caramelization. Long boil time makes it happen, slowly and gradually, like in brewing a Scotch Ale. If you can see it, it's probably burned, so not seeing it is a good sign.

You could keep a small glass of unboiled first runnings on the side to compare color and judge progress. ;)

No gas needed.

Back