6 gal. carboy for secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rangar

Reaction score
I want to try making a pumpkin ale and the kit from NB suggests using a secondary fermentation. All I have is 6 gal carboys and everything I have read says to use a 5 gal. Will the 6 gal. be O.K. or will that cause to much oxidation?

I wouldn't secondary with that much headspace (but then, I only rarely secondary, and then it's in the keg so not speaking from personal experience here). I peeked at that recipe, you should be fine with something like a 3 wk primary then bottle. I don't bother to secondary my pumpkin ale which has a similar level of spicing.

You don't have a 6 gal secondary IMHO, you have an additional primary. Skip the secondary process and brew another batch for your extra carboy. Keep the pipeline full.

You don't have a 6 gal secondary IMHO, you have an additional primary. Skip the secondary process and brew another batch for your extra carboy. Keep the pipeline full.

WORD! Secondaries are not all they are made out to be, and almost always skipped around here.

That said, I do usually have beer sit in-line for a while, which is like serving from a bright tank.

I read the debate about secondaries. I just liked the idea of it. But guess I'll take the advice and brew baby brew! :D

I've done a secondary in a 6.5 gal primary fermenter a couple of times. It turned out fine. There's some extra head space, but it'll fill with CO2. I'm assuming the kit says to add the pumpkin in secondary. If that's the case, go for it and you'll be fine with the 6 gal carboy.

I use my 6 gallon carboy as a primary for smaller batches and to lager, that is it. Lagering is the only secondary needed for my brews.

Latest posts

Back