5lb or 10lb cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Awesome

Reaction score
I'm looking into putting together my AG setup and all I need is a MLT. I'd like to get the 5lb gatorade style water cooler, but will that hold all the grain/water I need to make most 5 gallon batches of beer. I see some recipes with about 15 pounds of grain that I'd like to do, so I want to make sure I have enough room

Thanks all

If you plan on making any bigger beers at all, I'd get the 10GAL cooler. Might as well make the investment now than to regret it later.

you mean 5 gallon? I would go with the 10. The 5 gallon cooler will be very limiting. With the 10, you can go to something like 27 pounds of grain. In time, you'll want the added capacity.

Go with the 10. If you don't you'll be kicking yourself over it in less than 6 months.

I think you mean gallons instead of pounds. A 5 gallon cooler will fit up to about 14 lbs before it's maxed out. A 10 gallon cooler will double that. I have both, and I love the 10 gallon now that I have it. If you plan on ever making 5 gallons of anything over 1.070 without adding extract or sugar, then get the 10 gallon.

I did mean gallons and not pounds. I'm mixing my units.

Thanks for the quick replies. It seems there is a consensus.

We are men, and we always say the bigger the better.

Women always say that too.

I LOVE my 10 gallon MLT, and I was really close to getting the 5 gallon at first. It seemed big enough, and I couldn't imagine every making a 10 gallon batch or even a 5 gallon big beer. Well, I'm happy I decided that bigger IS better.

go big or go home! seriously though.. go big, you will need being doing 10 gallon batches before you know it and for that you need the bigger cooler.

I have only done 2, but I'd like to have one of each.

I really like my 5 gallon for the 10# ish grain bills. I'm thinking I'm going to build a 10 gallon so I can do some Imperial Stout types, but don't want to get that thing out for a nice little House Pale or something.
If I could only have 1, I'd do the 10

I went with the 10 gallon and one day i saw a 5 Gallon at a garage sale for $5;

10_and_5_G_Rubermaid.jpg

I seen this can i mash it calculator posted by another HBT member of the sight.:rockin:

According to the calculator a 5 gallon can hold 12.5 lbs of grain at 1.25 qt/lb and a 10 gallon can hold 25 lbs of grain at 1.25 qt/lb

Cheers
BeerCanuck

i'm one of those kicking myself in the arse. 12lbs of grain in my 5 gallon last weekend was really pushing it(the lid wouldn't close all the way during the mash). so, i've been thinking of a 10 gallon since last weekend for bigger beers. i'll be following the lead soon! having both will be nice though.

I made my first high gravity beer this weekend (1.095) and I was damn glad I had a 10-gal cooler. I filled it up pretty much to the stop when doughing in.

Go with the 10.

I bought a 5 gallon, then after the first batch, donated to my son's Boy Scout Troop and I bought a 10 gallon. You will be much happier with the 10 gallon cooler.

I was till I started doing 10 gallon batches of big beers, so I bought a 70 qt. Coleman Extreme and sold my 10 gallon to a good friend. Since then I picked up a 10 gallon one again because it works so well, so now I have both depending on the size of the beer I want to brew.

The way I see it you have 2 choices:

1. Buy the 5g now & then the 10g later when you realize you're limited in your mashing/sparging methods.

2. Buy the 10g now, saving money on the 5g & having no regrets.

10 Gal Gott: $61.64
5 Gal Gott: $35.48

Buying a 5 and 10 gal Gott: $97.12

Buy the 10 gal and save 35 bucks.

Back