5L Mini Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beertender

Reaction score
O.K. So I have been waiting for the right time to buy my own equipment and I did recently. I bought a Kit used from a person that gave up the hobby. The entire lot came with 6 5L kegs but there are no bungs or stoppers. I am about to brew for the first time Saturday and want to get ready for the conditioning process. Should I use the Mini Kegs and if so where do I get the stoppers?

if your talking about the 5L mini kegs with the taps and vent I wouldn't recommend using those to ferment in. did your kit come with a fermenting bucket or carboy?

Yes. I have a glass carboy. I was going to ferment the batch in the carboy but condition in the mini kegs.

Mini-kegs will be a pain but if that's all you have and you don't want to bottle I would suggest reading through all the "reuse mini-kegs" links at the bottom of this page, there is some good info there.

I have used them and as long as you get them converted it works fine, just a pain to: clean, dispense, etc.

Ok so I took a better look at the kegs and they all seem to have a bit wear & tear plus some with a spot or two of rust on them. I did take a peak on the inside and saw no rust and a protective coating on the inside. Any issues here?

Secondly, I mixed up a batch of Mr Beer last Saturday and I wanted to use the mini kegs to condition. I will have about two gallons of beer how much priming sugar should I use and how should the priming sugar be added? With or with out water?

I come to you beer gods with hat in hand.

Yeah I do no plan on using them primarily just now because they are what I have and I was given the Mr. Beer kit. So how much priming fugue should I use for 2 gallons?

Yeah I do no plan on using them primarily just now because they are what I have and I was given the Mr. Beer kit. So how much priming fugue should I use for 2 gallons?

3 tablespoons priming sugar, you can just pour it in or disolve it in boiling water either way works. Make sure you cool it before adding if boiling. :mug:

I ordered a kit from midwestsupplies with 4 5L kegs and a tap-a-draft tap. I'm pretty excited to get these full but you guys are raining on my parade lol. I'm kind of in between bottles and kegs. I've bottled before but don't have the room/money for a kegging system. This sounded like the most logical compromise.

I bought one of the party star systems and four mini-kegs, the Mrs. wouldn't allow for full corny keg set up....I like it and have had no issues, I haven't monkeyed with anything to make it better easier or more pleasing to the eye...I just followed the directions and have had no issues.

Back