5g primary carboy for 3gbatch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gallagher1424

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a 3 gallon batch of a Belgian gold strong ale. I have 5 gallon glass carboy and 3 gallon glass carboys on hand. From my understanding using a 5 gallon primary won't be an issue for a small batch because of the amount of Co2 produced. My question is for secondary would it be sensible to to transfer my 3 gallon batch to a 3 gallon glass carboy?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I agree, that shouldn't be a problem with the extra space in the primary.
I've had very good success with letting Belgian strong ales stay in the primary for three weeks and then bottling (or kegging). Then you don't have to worry about the three gallon issue.
Note: if you're new (no offense meant if you aren't), use the proper equipment to move those carboys around. Harnesses or even milk crates. The handles that you screw on aren't accident proof.

I know the larger primary should be fine but if I plan to go to secondary do you think enough capacity would be lost in the trub to make it fit comfortably in a 3 gallon Fermenter for secondary?

Back