50 hours after pitching and -Nothing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffd10

Reaction score
Hi All,

Super noob here..lol

I am 50 hours in after pitching my wort and I am not seeing anything. its a Mr. Beer kit W/ West Coast Pale Ale

Not knowing what to expect I was thinking I would see Alka-seltzer type of bubbling action yet its just sitting in my dark closet 68-70 F staring back at me doing nothing

It was a partial boil and I thought it cooled enough (followed MR.Beer) and I did stir the **** out of it

Gladly accepting replys from all Home Brew Ninja's

I am hoping to get a reading after work a.s.a.p, where should I be range wise?

It's not so much that you are looking for a particular value at this point, but if your hydrometer reading has changed that is the only real way to know that you are getting fermentation. Even if it hasn't change yet, though, 50 hours is still well within the range of normal for time to fermentation start.

-malfet

Thanks malfet :)

I know I am being a worry wort (pun intended) Ill get a reading posted later today

Already stoked to be a Home Brewer

I had two no-goes back to back (liquid yeast doesn't travel for two straight months well). I gave both about 48 hours to start. I took a reading on both of them, nothing happened and I pitched S-04 right into the bucket. Within 6 hours of pitching on both I started seeing activity (krausen first, bubbling airlock second).

I'd be a little worried about leaving it for too long...How long is too long? I guess that depends on your tolerance, but being a noob, mine wasn't too high.

Best of luck!

I had two no-goes back to back (liquid yeast doesn't travel for two straight months well). I gave both about 48 hours to start. I took a reading on both of them, nothing happened and I pitched S-04 right into the bucket. Within 6 hours of pitching on both I started seeing activity (krausen first, bubbling airlock second).

I'd be a little worried about leaving it for too long...How long is too long? I guess that depends on your tolerance, but being a noob, mine wasn't too high.

Best of luck!

Good point. While I stand by my earlier post saying that you shouldn't assume that fermentation hasn't started yet just because you don't see activity (and, further, that a 50 hour growth lag is not all that extreme), I would always recommend keeping some US-04 or US-05 on hand just in case. Dry yeast keeps reasonably well, and it's a nice backup. For the future, look into yeast starters.

Thank you Geppu and Malfet, I am unable to take a hydrometer reading... multple issues lol, but it looks different than when I last checked it 12+ hrs ago...no world class Krausen but its doing something !!! very slowly

Back