50 Best Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayg

Reaction score
According to Zymurgy's poll, that is.

1. Russian River Pliny the Elder

2. Bell’s Two Hearted Ale

3 (tie). Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA

3 (tie). Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout

5. Bell’s Hopslam

6. Stone Arrogant Bastard

7. Sierra Nevada Celebration

8 (tie). Sierra Nevada Torpedo

8 (tie). Stone Ruination

10. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

11. Stone Sublimely Self Righteous

12. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine

13. Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

14 (tie). Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter

14 (tie). Oskar Blues Dale’s Pale Ale

16 (tie). Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA

16 (tie). New Glarus Belgian Red

18. North Coast Old Rasputin

19. Bell’s Expedition Stout

20 (tie). Deschutes The Abyss

20 (tie). Left Hand Milk Stout

20 (tie). Odell IPA

20 (tie). Samuel Adams Noble Pils

20 (tie). Surly Furious

20 (tie). Troegs Nugget Nectar

26 (tie). Rogue Dead Guy Ale

26 (tie). Samuel Adams Boston Lager

28. Anchor Steam

29 (tie). Bear Republic Racer 5

29 (tie). Ommegang Three Philosophers

29 (tie). Oskar Blues Ten Fidy

29 (tie). Three Floyds Alpha King

29 (tie). Three Floyds Dark Lord

34 (tie). Avery Maharaja

34 (tie). Dogfish Head Indian Brown

34 (tie). Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron

34 (tie). Three Floyds Gumballhead

38 (tie). Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

38 (tie). Lost Abbey Angel’s Share

38 (tie). New Belgium La Folie

38 (tie). New Belgium Ranger

38 (tie). Oskar Blues Old Chub

43 (tie). Ballast Point Sculpin IPA

43 (tie). Great Divide Yeti

43 (tie). New Belgium 1554

43 (tie). Russian River Blind Pig

43 (tie). Ska Modus Hoperandi

48 (tie). Alesmith Speedway Stout

48 (tie). Dark Horse Crooked Tree

48 (tie). Green Flash West Coast IPA

48 (tie). Summit EPA

48 (tie). Victory Prima Pils

Ray :mug:

Wow, interesting list. Seems like Pliny always takes the top.

In my book, Bourbon County Stout would be #1

I like Pliny a lot, however I think that BCS has so much more character. I know it's not for everyone, but I still haven't found anything I like as much.

Man, I don't see what is so good about bells two hearted. It's OK but I do not think it deserves to even be in the top ten.
But I did not participate in the poll:D

Interesting list, funny to see a common beer such as Sam Adams Boston Lager on that list. I love boston lager, but I wouldn't expect a bunch of beer snobs to rank it that high

Holy hop hard-on Batman seems to be the swing of thing when judging beers these days I guess and what a bunch indecisive pussies I mean really 5 or 6 beers in a tie. I am not saying I could do it, I am sure my skirt would get in the way of figuring out which beer I liked better:tank:

Dogfish Head for the win. They've quickly worked their way to the top of my brewery list so I'm glad to see them all over that chart.

I had Pliny the Elder last week on tap but really couldn't get all worked up about it. It was good, but not much different than many other hop bomb beers. Really, I like DFH 60 and 90 minute better. I'm also surprised to not see more from Port/The Lost Abbey. Regardless, its a good list!

Holy hop hard-on Batman seems to be the swing of thing when judging beers these days I guess and what a bunch indecisive pussies I mean really 5 or 6 beers in a tie. I am not saying I could do it, I am sure my skirt would get in the way of figuring out which beer I liked better:tank:

The beers are ranked by number of votes received in the annual poll the AHA sends out to its members.

The beers are ranked by number of votes received in the annual poll the AHA sends out to its members.

Well in that case AHA members are a bunch of hop heads that buy there beer at the same bottle shop:mug:

I really am just kidding so don't get your panties in a bunch AHA members, it really is crazy that with a member base spread across the country you could have that many ties. It REALLY seems statistically impossible like multiple groups of people all picking the same lottery numbers and splitting the pot with 30 of their newest friends they've never met.

Clann said:
Man, I don't see what is so good about bells two hearted. It's OK but I do not think it deserves to even be in the top ten.

I thought that also at first, but what is said in Zm is correct---it's always good. Very predictable.

These lists are pretty ****ing stupid. First, equating Zymurgy readers to beer snobs is hilarious. Second, people who haven't ever had a sip of Pliny still vote it to the top because of its mythical status. Third, this list could be 50 different beers, still have an enormous amount of quality on it, and still be missing 50 more of the best beers ever.

This sort of thing is arbitrary and silly. I don't like it one bit.

I think #2 is too low for B2H. And, #19 is far too low for Kalamazoo Stout. It is good to see Bells and Sierra Nevada get their due. However, I too doubt that so many people prefer Pliny the Elder based on the taste rather than the name and mythical status.

These lists are pretty ****ing stupid. First, equating Zymurgy readers to beer snobs is hilarious. Second, people who haven't ever had a sip of Pliny still vote it to the top because of its mythical status. Third, this list could be 50 different beers, still have an enormous amount of quality on it, and still be missing 50 more of the best beers ever.

This sort of thing is arbitrary and silly. I don't like it one bit.

I agree with your philosophy, but at the same time I don't. This poll included 3,259 votes. However, "best beer" is a relative term. A portion of it is popularity, like with the Pliny. "Popularity" is an unpopular word, but in reality that is what polls are based on, and there is merit to popularity. The collective wisdom of the crowd isn't always wrong, especially when that crowd is the Zymurgy audience. So, these beers are both great tasting, AND popular. That's what makes them the "best beers."

One of my favorite beers, and a beer that is often touted as "the best" Imperial Stout, Firestone Walker's Parabola, isn't even on the list. That makes sense though because it isn't popular due to the low distribution. Not a lot of people have had it. Does this mean it isn't one of the "best beers" in the world? In some sense, it does!

Don't recognise all the beers but are these all American beers? Surely there are beers outside the states worth talking about- Nogne Imperial Stout or Adnams Innovation are ones that spring to mind

Wrong, old stock is the best beer in the world and it's not even on the list. McMalty is gonna be pissed!

HomeBrewMan said:
Don't recognise all the beers but are these all American beers? Surely there are beers outside the states worth talking about- Nogne Imperial Stout or Adnams Innovation are ones that spring to mind
This is a list of American beers only.

Interesting list, funny to see a common beer such as Sam Adams Boston Lager on that list. I love boston lager, but I wouldn't expect a bunch of beer snobs to rank it that high

Still wins medals year after year.........it is a "perfect" beer.......the recipe is flawless........

as for the rest of the list.......pretty accurate.....with a few exceptions.......some great beers that exist that havent even made the list......

I'm a huge hop head myself, but I have to say that it saddens me that there aren't more beers on there like dopplebocks or sour beers. I love me my DFH 90...its nearly perfect, but I really think that we've overlooked some quality beers. It seems this list is filled with Stouts, IPA/IIPA's or big barley wine type beers. I agree, they are FANTASTIC! but there are some seriously tastey beers by smaller breweries that most people just wont ever have.

Then again, this list DOES make me salivate to the point where its only 10:15 am in
Chi Town and I want to run out and drink the city dry of Bell's 2 hearted, Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, Left hands milk stout or Ommegang's Three Philosophers!

I wish this list was international...it would be interesting to see how some of the belgian beers stack up!

It's missing flower power IPA.

The problem is all these beers are regional, for the most part. So, nobody has had all 50. I think you can infer that the midwest and west coast had the most entries.

Back