50 beers to try before you die

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marubozo

I can has homebrew?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like GQ put out a list of 50 beers you just have to try. There are some obvious selections and a few that sort of make me scratch my head. Either way, I'm bummed because I've only had maybe 10 on the list because the rest aren't sold around here :(

How many have you had from the list?

3:mad:i thought brewing might save me a few dollars, turns out now when i hit the beer store i spend twice as much:rockin:

I think I have only had about 5 of those beers. Most recently the Pliny the Elder, which I enjoyed very much. The Stone RIS was pretty good too, discovered I like Stouts more than Porters. Never heard of most of those beer's but I will be more than happy to try them.:mug:

24 for me.
it's cool to see SixPoint Craft Ales on there. but Sweet Action isn't one of my favorites from them. it's good but i think they have better beers.

44, a couple others are ones I will try when I next have the chance. I have had a couple versions of Paradox but not the one listed. There were 2 I have never heard of.

I have the benefit of having lived in relatively large cities my entire adult life, one on the west coast and one in the midwest. I also travel 7-8 times a year for personal or work reasons and will take the opportunity to drink stuff I haven't had before.

I didn't see any Kolsch or black lagers on the list.

Black lager is an oversight because Michael Jackson wrote fondly of a number of them produced all over eastern europe (not in the schwartzbier style promulgated by the BJCP). I have spending 2-3 days in the Czech Republic this fall for the purpose of finding some of them (appended to a Germany trip). So with all of those plus the black lagers we see over here, it is a pretty broad category.

Kolsch is made by a handful of breweries in one city so that might be a more fair one to leave off, especially considering the author's understandable US bias.

I though it was odd that the one Pilsner (Trumer) was a kind of idiosyncratic one (they mash without husks). I think Trumer is good, just would have liked to have seen a more traditional pilsner on there. No English pale ales either.

I've sampled 35 of them. Interesting list, thanks.

Yeah, one of the best lists I've seen from a non beer focused publication. Every time someone links a beer list from a non beer related source I cringe as I click on the link, this one was a pleasant surprise.

Looks like GQ put out a list of 50 beers you just have to try. There are some obvious selections and a few that sort of make me scratch my head. Either way, I'm bummed because I've only had maybe 10 on the list because the rest aren't sold around here :(

How many have you had from the list?

26 if I counted right.

Lost Abbey Red Poppy should be on that list.

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold is a bit of heaven on earth.

I always found it odd that Dale's Pale Ale, by the numbers, is obviously an IPA. And yet, on the OB website, they list it as a "Pale Ale (duh)". The 50 beers website calls it an IPA.

My count is 15.

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold is a bit of heaven on earth..

Hmm, really? I've tried many GL brews and love their EF, but never tried Dortmunder. They sell it in 12-packs here too, but just never thought to try it. I guess I know what I'm getting when I go to the store next week!

The top 50 website gives a pretty good description of it. Don't expect too much of it, but for a beautiful balance of golden malt and noble hop flavor in a session beer, it is great. I miss it.

I've had ten of those. A lot of the others I've heard of but never seen around here or anywhere I've traveled..

just got home from trader joe's...never been there before, they let you mix and match your six pack:ban:my number will go up by 2 in a few days;)

16 for me. I'm not a wheat beer fan, but I've sampled most of them before deciding I don't like them. That list was pretty heavy to wheat beers, in my opinion.

Agreed. Wheat beers, funky-yeast beers, sour beers, strongly C-hopped beers with no malt body and anything really alcoholic and/or dark; it's what I would call a Beer Advocate effect list. In other words if it tastes odd or gives you a funny feeling in your head after half a glass it must be a great beer. Any list of this type is highly subjective but this list's author has a bit of tunnel vision. :mug:

19 so far, but it really seems like a lot of the beers on the list weren't even in my personal favorites. Westy 12 was great, but I liked the 8 better, I'd take any of the other trappist beers over Orval too... I'm not even sure why Sierra Nevada Harvest is on the list. Oh well, no way we can all agree on something like this.

All but about six. There are a ton on there that shouldn't be.

And I'm the opposite of stageseven, I don't care for the 8 as much as the 12 (which is why I haven't reserved any 8). The blonde is pretty good too.

I've had 45 of them, if I counted correctly. I would definitely say that list is severely lacking in a lot of ways, but they're usually fun to read.

Two of the top 6 are two of my favorite beers (Dale's Pale and Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout). I've only tried 7 of the top 50, though.

I'd petition for more time and brew my own. One every year or so.

Much prefer my own.

Proud of my 22 so far, however, there are 4 that I have not tried, but are in my cellar!

9 for me. Is anyone else only finding 49 beers on the list? I've counted multiple times and got so anal that I put them in a spreadsheet. Still only 49. I think GQ is ripping off their readership. Either that or my counting ability is repeatably inaccurate.

Back