5 gallon pot for 10 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeve007

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Due to prices and short term length of stay in current place, I used a 5 gallon pot to brew my first 5 gallon batch. Obviously I could do the wort/boil stage with less water and add more later. I'm wondering if that would be possible to brew a 10 gallon batch, which would obviously mean a far more concentrated wort/boiling stage, with the batch being "watered down" at the fermenter stage?

I would have previously boiled and cooled water to add at this stage, but wondering if this would still work fine with so much water being added at the fermenting stage?

There are limits of course, and it highly depends on the beer you're brewing.

When you brew 5 gallons of wort for a 10 gallon batch, everything gets diluted 1:1. Gravity, bittering, flavor, aroma, you name it.
Brewing highly concentrated wort can also give you different flavor profiles, due to higher kettle reactions, like caramelization, etc.

This gets more severely exacerbated when you only use 3 or 4 gallons of wort for a 10 gallon batch... :tank:

Brew twice, back to back! Get another kettle so you can boil one while mashing the other, etc.

So it "might" be possible for some styles, or else brew back to back could be a better solution... thanks!

you are gonna need to brew back to back to back if you want 10 gal from a 5 gal kettle...

3x 4 gal boil batches will net you 10.5 fermenter volume...probably gotta start with 4 gal for the boil. end boil with 3.5. then lose 0.5 total in the fementer trub cake after it's all done equals 10 gel finished beer..

Back