5 gal. Hedpak #2 HDPE containers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emr454

Reaction score
I came across a couple 5 gal Hedpak #2 HDPE containers at a garage sale last year. They originally held root beer soda flavoring or extract. Has anyone used these for fermenting? I do mostly apfelwein and hard cider, so not worries about hot wort or anything. It would be nice to be able to use these because I only have 1 6 gal better bottle and I have so many ideas, and so little fermenting space haha! Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Eric

Here is a pic:

#2 Plastic is ok for fermenting, but I'd be more worried about the soda flavor never coming out of that plastic. Everything you put in there may come out with a hint of root beer.

Other than the soda flavor issue dap325 pointed out, there's no reason not to use them for primary fermentation. I would not use them for an extended primary or secondary because of oxygen permeation through the plastic over long times.

Thanks guys!

I'm not worried about any flavor transfer because from what I can tell, these jugs are from the 80's and they have no smell to them right now. I haven't washed them yet but will do so before putting anything into them.

How long do you think something like hard cider could be left inside without deleterious effects?

Eric

Latest posts

Back