5 gal carboy as primary?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistyMountainHops

Reaction score
I think I know the answer to my question but is a 5 gal carboy suffecient as a primary for a 5 gal batch?

All of my 6.5 gal carboys are in use right now and had to resort to using a 5 gal. Am I asking for trouble? I just made the batch yesterday so it hasnt started actively fermenting yet and I have a blow off tube attached.

I have a 6.5 gal bottling bucket available - should I transfer to this? Will it affect the fermentation process if I transfer now?

Thanks in advance!

You could continue to use the 5 gallon carboy, but you're going to lose a good portion of your batch to blowoff.

The bottling bucket presents a good chance for leakage.

I'd just buy another ale pail.

So the head space (or lack there of) in the 5 gal carboy isnt going to hinder my batch beyond losing a portion of the batch to blow off?

Fermcap-S!!!! Get some foam control to minimize your blowoff, it also helps with boil-overs.

Fermcap-S!!!! Get some foam control to minimize your blowoff, it also helps with boil-overs.
+9999999999999999
If you are in a pinch Gas-x or any similar product with simethicone in it will work (try to get unflavored if possible, and make sure it doesn't have antacid in it). I cut open gas-x gel-caps and squeeze them into my boil and sometimes my fermentor.

Seriously?! I have never heard of that. It doesnt effect the beer at all?
Doesn't seem to. There are several threads debating the pros and cons of fermcap-s or simethicone but nobody seems to have had a bad experience using it, while a LOT of people swear by it at least for use in the BK to prevent boilovers. There is some debate that it might affect head, but doesn't seem to be anything conclusive. It may increase the IBU's in a brew if used in the BK because it will reduce foaming and keep the hops in the wort instead of letting them get stuck to the sides of the BK out of the wort. I've only used it once during fermentation, for a five gallon batch of apfelwein that I pitched the wrong yeast into in a five gallon carboy. It looked like it was about to blow so I dropped some gas-x in it. I always use it in my boils though and haven't had any problems. It's fooking money in the BK, lets you fill the BK almost to the brim without having to worry about boilovers.

It actually increases head retention a bit so it does effect the beer but in a positive way, IMHO.

+1 on using it in the BK, I can do a 13gal batch in my keggle with a vigorous boil and have no issues if I use the Fermcap.

Back