5 Cu Ft Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygringo

Reaction score
After spending a lot of time looking around on here and getting a ton of great ideas from other posts, finally started a keezer project and wanted to post some pics. This is the start- $40 craigslist freezer on a 2x6 base with casters. The base has 2 extensions to hold tanks- hope to add nitrogen in the future. I will keep adding pics until it's up to how it looks today- thanks for the ideas!

100_0640.jpg

100_0643.jpg

100_0644.jpg

100_0645.jpg

100_0646.jpg

The plan is to enclose the keezer in wood so we glued 1/4 oak plywood to the lid and directly to the sides of the freezer. While debating if this would work, we looked on this site and saw someone else had done something similar. To glue to the actual freezer, we couldn't use nails so I took 2x4's and toenail screwed them to the wood base at the bottom and clamped them at the top to hold in place- worked pretty well! In some shots you can see the oak sheets don't go to the edge of the freezer which doesn't matter because of the trim that will be used. Some scrap "spacer" pieces are glued into place.

100_0685.jpg

100_0687.jpg

100_0693.jpg

100_0694.jpg

We have an old trunk in what has become the brew room with black trim. Thought it looked kinda cool, so decided to do all the trim gloss black to break up the amount of wood. I used 3/8" thick x3" wide poplar that I primed and gave 2 coats of paint. The base is 1x4 done the same way. The base board doesn't go to the floor, gonna do a final piece that will set on the floor and slide up to the attached piece. Figured it will be easier to move in the future.

100_0690.jpg

100_0696.jpg

100_0698.jpg

100_0700.jpg

Kind of skipped over a couple of things- one of the reasons for choosing the trim style was to have the trim on the lid overlap the seam between the lid and body of the freezer. Due to some miscalculations, there wasn't enough clearance for the lid to close. I had to notch the trim on the lid and shim the lid out to make it work. Here is the lid reattached with the original hinges. To hold the side trim in place we used bungee cords which held everything in place until the glue dried.

100_0707.jpg

100_0713.jpg

For a drip tray we are using a drip tray from an ice cream machine. Since the sides can't be drilled into due to the coolant lines a plan B was needed. To mount it, I drilled holes that lined up with the mounting holes on the drip tray and used a countersink bit on the back of the board. Then I threaded the bolts through and super glued them into place. When this was all done I glued the board to the face of the freezer. Haven't gotten carried away to see how much it will hold, but it seems pretty solid. Some of these shots are a little grainy- sorry!

100_0714.jpg

100_0717.jpg

100_0718.jpg

100_0721.jpg

100_0728.jpg

Faucet holes cut and the faucets temporarily mounted- now some insulation, running lines,... Cut an extra hole to add an additional faucet in the future- thinking creamer with nitrogen. Not sure if this is just a bad fantasy idea, but I can always add without nitrogen after doing enough research to figure out what will work best and is most feasible. Can't wait to finish this and move on to something else- too many cool projects on here!

100_0734.jpg

Here's some pics of the lid with all the lines ran- up and running great, just need to get some beer in it! The last picture is of the finished product. Thanks to everyone who have posted projects and inspired us to do this-

100_0745.jpg

100_0746.jpg

100_0747.jpg

100_0744.jpg

That's a nice setup, looking to do something similar with a harley theme. Thanks for posting and giving others some inspiration for their projects.

Latest posts

Back