5 Best beers for Spring...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarwolf

Reaction score
OK brewers, it is my seasonal post, where I look for input on the best beers to brew now for consumption in spring.

Here are a few I have on my mind for spring

1. Weizenbock
2. Raspberry Wheat Ale
3. Saison du Pierpax Clone
4. Cream Ale
5. Citrusy IPA

I am open to style benders too, such as a citrusy, hoppy wheat beer.

Bohemian Pilsner, the Cottage House Saison recipe, Yooper's Hoppy American Pale Ale, Patersbier, and Altbier.

4.0 ABV Porter ( For when I feel like drinking more then 2 or 3 beers)
6.6 ABV Porter
Oatmeal Stout
Amber Ale
ESB

Some day I would like to attempt a Lager but that would be 6 and break the rules..:D

this is for Phx, AZ.. which has been colder lately than anywhere you live (exemption: anchorage):
february: oatmeal stout
march: doppelbock
april: saison
may: watermelon gose
june: DIPA

this is for Phx, AZ.. which has been colder lately than anywhere you live (exemption: anchorage):

Google says it was 71 in Phoenix, today. If that's cold I'm the Prime Minister of Norway. :D

I like a low ABV porter in spring, maibock as mentioned, maybe a dunkelweiss. And a trippel or stronger saison, maybe.

Lol, Canada says hi.

I'm gonna try a saison or two for spring I think.

Except for Tucson which is about 10 degrees colder than Phoenix on average!
Spring here is also like summer everywhere else. So....pale ale, wheat beer, blonde

I always enjoy a good dry irish stout around St. Patrick's Day. With any luck spring is starting to peek through around that time up here in the Pacific NW and I find that the dark but somewhat light nature of the beer really suits the season. As the days (sometimes) get warmer in late April to mid May I always am in the mood for some interesting fruit beers. The style itself is suiting since berries and other fruits are just starting to come into their own around this time and will continue for months to come. By early to mid June the days can start to warm up (although some years June can bring lots of cool weather and rain) and I start reaching for big, tropical IPAs. For some reason the end of spring and the start of summer really makes me crave weird beers like "mango IPAs".

It's great being in a beer friendly environment where even a relatively sleepy town like Corvallis has some good brew pubs that produce exemplary beers of these styles seasonally. Since it's just my wife (who doesn't drink more than 3-4 beers a week) and I drinking my homebrew it's hard to justify brewing styles like fruit juice infused IPAs since the breweries around here are producing such a high quality product and the relatively short window I crave these styles.

Spring comes late to the Northern Midwest so I will not be starting those beers until mid February. My list is simple:

<4.0 ABV RyePA for those rare days fit for sitting outside all day and watching the dogs play. Spicy, English hops for the "earthy" aroma.

Dunkel Weizen...it is about the only traditional beer I make other than...

ESB...is there any season that an ESB does not fit?

I also make my Redneck Pale Ale near the end of winter (late March) in vast quatities as it has no recipe...just an OG, FG, SRM and IBU limit. It lets me clear out ingredients for the new hops and (hopefully) the Chicago area bulk grain group buy.

For me, I'm all about Vienna Lager in the spring. Marzen for March, I call it.

Back