5.2 stabilizer with a triple decoction mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd2xu

Reaction score
I always use 5.2 stabilizer for my infusion batches but today I am doing a 10 gallon batch of Helles, with a triple decoction. Should I still use the 5.2?

5.2 is junk. Query about it in the brew science section of HBT.

It's worked awesome for me, before I was using it I wasn't getting nearly the efficiency, in the 60s I started using that and it went right up to low 70s, I love it. But I'm wondering if I need it for a triple decoction. I know you don't want to pH going to low and I'm afraid this might do that

Thanks, so at least for this batch I won't use it. I read in an article in BYO The author put in a pinch of gypsum with each decoction, do you think that is necessary?

All I can say about 5.2 stabilizer is that the only thing I changed in my process I was using that and my efficiency went up 8 to 10 points

Also I'm using metro Atlanta water and only adding Camden tablets. Our water profile is pretty good for brewing

Well hit my numbers and then some, ended up at 1.054, targeting 1.050. Wort tastes awesome, going to be a great Helles I hope. I think Helles is becoming my favorite beer

No not yet, I bought some strips but they literally don't work at all, nothing makes them change color. I need to invest in a meter.

Back