5-15 gal eBIAB system + brewery build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreddyMar3

Reaction score
This is why and how I went from 3V to eBIAB. Maybe it will help someone else if they make the same decision.

TL;DR? Pics at the end.

Pt1: The System:
A few years ago I bought a B3 Tippydump system off Craigslist. I liked the rig but it would take 6-7 hours for brew and cleanup even with prep the day before. Also, having to haul it out in the dead of winter and brew in the freezing cold sucked. I was sick of dealing with my chilling hose freezing in the snow. Eventually, I tried out stovetop BIAB with a spare kettle I had. It was a great solution for winter brewing and I soon fell in love with the simplicity of BIAB and the comfort of brewing indoors. Eventually I stopped using the Tippydump altogether. Problem was, I had to haul all my gear in from my detached garage to brew. It was still too cumbersome.

I decided to overhaul of the garage and settled on an eBIAB setup, hoping to make brew days as quick and easy as possible. Timing couldn’t have been better, with so many prefab systems hitting the market. I looked at them all in depth: BrewBoss (BB), High Gravity, Grainfather, Colorado Brewing, etc. They all have great features, but the BB won me over with the price, automation, and customer service. The COFI design is slick and running the brew from a tablet looked like fun.

I am fortunate that the garage was a blank slate for planning a brewery: a stand-alone, 180 sq ft block structure 80 ft. off the back of our property, but with no water and only 120v electric. It was being used for storing my brew gear, but I always wanted to turn it into a proper brewhouse. I figured if I could sell all my old gear, I could make this happen without breaking the bank.

I almost pulled the trigger on the BrewBoss but realized that its grain capacity restrictions would limit flexibility on gravity and volume. What I wanted was a system that could brew anything from 5-10 or more and be able to crank out big RISs and Quads at those same volumes. As far as I can tell, that didn’t exist. So I “built” my own. Well, I didn’t really BUILD much of anything on my system. I just did a bunch of research and calculations to come up with something that met my ideal brew system wishes.

Controller, Element, Temp Probe
I didn’t want to build a controller so I stuck with the BB controller as it’s reasonably priced, has built in automation, wifi, and comes pre-wired with the 5500W element and temp probe for a marginal increase in price.

Kettle, Fittings, Pump
This was the most difficult part of designing the system. I wanted welded ferrules but wasn’t going to do that myself. Unfortuantely, there is no prefab kettle out there with all the welds in the right place. Also, in order to brew anywhere from 5-15gal, the kettle would need to be tall and narrow but most 20 gallon kettles on the market a have a wide footprint. With eBIAB the grain capacity is limited by the element because the basket/bag needs to sit above the element. This means the water level must reach a certain level to cover the grains and is the reason why the standard BrewBoss COFI filter would not work for me.

One vendor checked all of these boxes: Brewer’s Hardware. Another supplier with fantastic customer service. The BH 20 gal kettle has an uncommonly narrow 15.75 inch footprint, making the water reach a higher level in the filter basket. They also will weld in custom ferrules.

I bought almost all of the fittings and the pump from Brewer's Hardware as well. They really are a great vendor.

I wanted to get the kettle with the whirlpool tangential inlet but you couldn’t get that version without a temp port, which I couldn’t use with the basket in there. Instead of just capping that port, I got a TC sample valve. That way I can easily take PH and gravity readings without opening the lid. I had the guys there weld in custom ferrules for the Element, temp probe, and recirc arm. They did a fantastic job.

Basket

Getting a custom stainless brew baskets means you are probably going to Utah Biodiesel (the same company as Arbor Fab). These guys were top notch as well. I must have a 45 email long thread with Graydon at UB talking through designing the perfect basket that fits JUST over the element & dip tube and JUST inside the walls of the kettle. It came out perfectly. I also added the hanging brackets for so i could set the basket on the rim for pressing and sparging (if i want to). My math says it holds around 45 lbs of grain but I haven’t tested the max capacity yet

Sparge Arm
This is the only part of the kettle I actually built myself. I couldn’t bring myself to settle for just a sparge ring after seeing the COFI so I tried to engineer something similar and this is what I came up with:

I purchased a 5 ft length of ½ OD copper, 4 caps, and 3 Ts and and a few other parts to fit it onto the ferrule. The idea here is that you get a little sprinkling on top plus infusion in the middle.

I bought a cheap induction burner to heat a separate kettle of sparge water. Once the basket is in place on the hooks, I can disconnect the winch and put the lid back on with the recirc arm attached, recirculate the wort for a minute to create a grain bed, then switch the hose over to the sparge kettle for a quick 5-10 minute rinse.

Press plate: Non-stick, deep dish

That’s it for the system… Certainly not the most economical option but buying the kettle and controller prefab saved me tons of time figuring it out myself.

Pt. 2: The Brewery

With the system figured out, it was time to get working on the infrastructure to support it. Many people on here build electric systems in their basement. Our house is over 100 years old so our basement is pretty much a glorified dirt pit under the house. On the plus side, we have the garage mentioned above.

In order for this to become a legit home brewery, it needed alot of work:

Water - no more running a hose to the garage and having it freeze.
Electric - going to need some serious power, beyond just the element.
Flooring - the current floor was falling apart; very uneven and porous.
Waterproofing - I would find out after relaying the floor that the old porous concrete was hiding some serious drainage issues.
Ventilation - need to get rid of all the moisture from brewing
Misc - Fix cracked block, frame/insulate/drywall, replace doors, install attic.

Basically a total gut job. I DIY’d it all except the drywall, which was a mistake. I ended up with a terrible contractor that held me up for months.

Cue 80’s montage music:
thumb2_img_4113-66695.jpg

thumb2_img_4115-66697.jpg

thumb2_img_4118-66700.jpg

thumb2_img_4117-66699.jpg

thumb2_img_4116-66698.jpg
thumb2_img_4114-66696.jpg

thumb2_img_4119-66701.jpg

thumb2_img_4195-66938.jpg

thumb2_img_4149-66747.jpg

thumb2_img_4171-66750.jpg

thumb2_img_4159-66746.jpg

fullsizerender-66940.jpg

thumb2_img_4237-66942.jpg

I like your kettle choice. You are right about it not being the cheapest option (over buying a turn key setup) but for 5 through 15 gallon batches it's about your only option.

I like your kettle choice. You are right about it not being the cheapest option (over buying a turn key setup) but for 5 through 15 gallon batches it's about your only option.

Yea there are definitely cheaper ways of doing it, but since I was going to the trouble with the garage, I wanted to make it perfect. Renovations aside, this setup ended up costing me about $400 more than if I had just gone with the BB prefab 20 gal system.

What in your opinion made the BB a better choice over the CO Brew? Just like the tablet aspect of the controller?

What in your opinion made the BB a better choice over the CO Brew? Just like the tablet aspect of the controller?

I believe at the time I bought the BB controller, CO brew didn't have the nano system they have now. I can't really compare the two now, I never did in depth research on the CO system since it wasn't available at the time (I think). Is the kettle a narrower one or same width as the BB? I know CO advertises being able to do 5gal batches. I wonder what the limit is, grain wise...

Also, the tablet and automation of the BB was a big selling point.

I believe at the time I bought the BB controller, CO brew didn't have the nano system they have now. I can't really compare the two now, I never did in depth research on the CO system since it wasn't available at the time (I think). Is the kettle a narrower one or same width as the BB? I know CO advertises being able to do 5gal batches. I wonder what the limit is, grain wise...

Also, the tablet and automation of the BB was a big selling point.
The kettle looks short and wide to me, but I am not ready to buy yet so I haven't bothered him with detailed questions. I do want sanitary TC fittings throughout though.

The kettle looks short and wide to me, but I am not ready to buy yet so I haven't bothered him with detailed questions. I do want sanitary TC fittings throughout though.

If you go the custom route, let me know and I can dig up all the specs I gave BH for the kettle and UBD for the basket.

Can you give a little more detail about the mash plumbing you use? I have a CO Brew system, but dont like the hose thing at all. Looking to do something like this, I have all TC fittings...and a 20 gal kettle.

thank you!

Can you give a little more detail about the mash plumbing you use? I have a CO Brew system, but dont like the hose thing at all. Looking to do something like this, I have all TC fittings...and a 20 gal kettle.

thank you!

Certainly. I had BH weld a 2 sided ferrule into the lid of the kettle, I put a TC elbow and a TC to cam adapter on the outside of the lid for easy connecting and disconnecting from the hose, which comes from the pump. On the under side of the kettle, I used a TC to threaded male NPT elbow. the elbow is what allows me to hook up the sparge arm I made.

About the sparge arm... I probably got a bit carried away with the design but I wanted to make sure that on big batches, I would have the tub run down into the mash but also have a sprinkling effect from above. Basically just wanted to make sure that the whole mash was getting circulation and it seems to work pretty well. In retrospect, I probably could have been fine with a simpler design.

Is that what you were looking for?

Certainly. I had BH weld a 2 sided ferrule into the lid of the kettle, I put a TC elbow and a TC to cam adapter on the outside of the lid for easy connecting and disconnecting from the hose, which comes from the pump. On the under side of the kettle, I used a TC to threaded male NPT elbow. the elbow is what allows me to hook up the sparge arm I made.

About the sparge arm... I probably got a bit carried away with the design but I wanted to make sure that on big batches, I would have the tub run down into the mash but also have a sprinkling effect from above. Basically just wanted to make sure that the whole mash was getting circulation and it seems to work pretty well. In retrospect, I probably could have been fine with a simpler design.

Is that what you were looking for?

pretty much, I am trying to simulate the COFI design basically wanting to make sure i circulate as much as possible through the whole mash...
I just have to figure out how to attach it to the kettle.

Yes, if you can post those, it would be appreciated!

Here is the exact order on the basket. I would recommend going 1/4 in less in diameter and 1/4 in taller on the feet, just to be safe. I cut it as close as it could possibly go:

(1) BIAB:
- 15" Diameter x 20.25" Tall (total basket height with feet: 23.75)
- 400 Micron
- with 3.5" Feet (i need 3.5 inches of clearance to clear the diptube)
- (3) 3/8" drilled holes in the top (as close to the top as possible)
- the drilled holes at the top take the place of the swing handle

(4) J-hooks:
- Kettle lip is 3/8 of an inch
- Kettle diameter is 15.75
- Length of J-hooks: 3 inches

Here is the order for the kettle including locations on the ferrules:
- 20 Gallon TC Fitted Boil Kettle with Tangential Inlet and Temperature Port
- Weld 1.5" Ferrule. Location: 3:00 @ as low as possible
- Weld 1" Ferrule. Location: 4:30 @ as low as possible
- Weld 1" Ferrules back to back. Location: Welded in lid, centered 3.5 in inches from edge

Hope this helps!

I just noticed your water setup. What is that box that the cold water line runs through? is that a carbon filter?

I just noticed your water setup. What is that box that the cold water line runs through? is that a carbon filter?

There is a carbon filter bypass and then it runs into the box, which is an on demand hot water heater. It puts out at about 120F so I can ramp to mash temp even quicker.

thank you!
You may want to check back with CO Brew. They have a different setup now for mash that doesn't use tubing, along with a solid side basket. I like this setup, but I haven't received info yet as to grain amounts. I'd like to use their hardware with the BB controller.

Yes, I contacted them and bought a new recirc fitting, still waiting to hear back from them after paying for it :(

You may want to check back with CO Brew. They have a different setup now for mash that doesn't use tubing, along with a solid side basket. I like this setup, but I haven't received info yet as to grain amounts. I'd like to use their hardware with the BB controller.

Yes, I contacted them and bought a new recirc fitting, still waiting to hear back from them after paying for it :(

As far as I can tell, they're super backed up now. I ordered a kettle 2/9 and it just switched to "In Production" on 3/24.

I'd like to see more pix of the 'COFI'-type recirc attachment & how it is positioned in the Mash Tun. I've been having similar thoughts, as I think the BB COFI system has some great advantages as far as 'complete' mashing.
Thanks for the thread and pix.
MT2sum

What exactly is that a picture of?

That is a picture of boiling wort recirculating into a muslin bag filled with hops via silicone tubing and a perforated copper tube. I do the same thing during a hop stand. the muslin bag hangs from that stainless funnel.

Would you consider doing a video in process? Although new to the forum officially I've crawled on here for the last few years. What you've created/working in is exactly what I'd like to replicate.

Looking forward to hearing the results of your brew session... I just stumbled into here as I was trying to work out the 5,10 or 15 gallon problem that you already solved!

Alright so I pretty much maxed this out. 33lbs grain and 20.5 gal of water. I had to withhold 6 gal to sparge in order for the mash to fit.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1462421573.839729.jpg

My sparge arm was submerged but had no issues. It's cool how the center of the mash is somewhat cavitated from the center out infusion when I lift the basket. Let's me Know the down tube is working. I used a watering pale to sparge. Worked pretty well but I'm convinced there's still a better way.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1462421548.830534.jpg

The boil was dangerously close to the top during boil detect but a full dropper of fermcap kept things in check.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1462421653.945534.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1462421669.071514.jpg

Ended up with exactly 16.5 gal split btwn 3 fermenters.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1462421721.847873.jpg

Only thing off today was my efficiency which was actually 11 pts high with less squeezing than I normally do. I got a new grain mill and the crush is much better (MM3 instead of Captain crush) oh well. Guess this will be a boozy kolsch.

2 more brews on the schedule for this year should test the last unknowns for this system. 5 and 10 gal batches of RIS. The 5 will test of large amounts of grain can be covered in a small batch and the ten will test the the kettle capacity on a high gravity beer.

More to come on that.

Alright so I pretty much maxed this out. 33lbs grain and 20.5 gal of water. I had to withhold 6 gal to sparge in order for the mash to fit.
Ended up with exactly 16.5 gal split btwn 3 fermenters.

Only thing off today was my efficiency which was actually 11 pts high with less squeezing than I normally do. I got a new grain mill and the crush is much better (MM3 instead of Captain crush) oh well. Guess this will be a boozy kolsch.
Great write-up. Was this the first time you have gone with less than full-volume on this system, and therefor the first sparge on it? That could account for your mash efficiency bump also. What did you set your crush at?

2 more brews on the schedule for this year should test the last unknowns for this system. 5 and 10 gal batches of RIS. The 5 will test of large amounts of grain can be covered in a small batch and the ten will test the the kettle capacity on a high gravity beer.
More to come on that.
Looking forward to hearing the numbers on that! I'm very close to deciding exactly which system to assemble.
Do you plan to do them soon, or not for a while?

Back