45,000 btu enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xaturnascends

Reaction score
In your opinion, is a 45,000 propane BTU turkey fryer enough for a keggle? I know the king kooker is only 55,000 and i know people use them....advice?

I'd think it'd be fine, depending on your brew environment. If it's cold outside, i could see it being an issue, but I think our fryer is around that output and we don't even put it on full open usually. :) If you're cooking outside an ice fishing shack in alaska, spring for the 210k btu one :)

I have one that probably isn't any bigger. It's a bit slow to heat in freezing weather. But, it works.

Mine is 170,000 and I have never turned it up more than 1/2 way for fear of scorching the wort. I did a double brew last week in record time. You should be fine. I have found the wind affects your boil time more than the ambient temp. Use a wind screen and all is well.

I use a 45K burner and it works okay. It takes about 20 minutes to get 6.5 gallons to a boil with the lid on. Once it starts boiling I take the lid off.

Mine is a 40k btu burner that I do 10 gallon batches on all the time. Suprisingly enough it doesn't take much longer to bring the 14.5 gallons of wort to a boil than my buddies 200k btu burner and I don't ever have boilovers, and he does all the time. Just get used to running it full throttle all the time.

Back