42+ year old bottle of cheap champagne

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm cleaning out some of my father's things. He died last week, šŸ˜¢ and he and mom have lived in this house since 1961. I found a few bottles of homemade wine from the 70's or early 80's that I assume will be undrinkable but I'm going to try them. But there's also a bottle of Paul Masson sparkling wine that's in a 4/5 of a quart bottle instead of 750ml. They haven't made those since 1979. (I looked that up) It might even be quite a bit older. I have no idea what the story is or why he kept it.

I've put it in the fridge. What to expect? :) Will it even still be carbonated?

Unfortunately it was a drain-pour. The cork had dry-rotted and shrank, and let air in. The wine was badly oxidized (but not to the point of vinegar) and had a weird taste besides that from the cork itself.

Sorry to hear that, I was pretty anxious to hear the results. I was hoping for something much more positive though. Still an awesome experience though.

Last week I did find and drink a bottle of similar-aged dry strawberry wine that he'd made. It too was badly oxidized but still drinkable. It tasted more interesting than bad. (it was both) Like sherry that had gone way too far, and with less alcohol than sherry. It took me a few days to finish it. :D There are 5 more bottles out there; some strawberry, some blackberry, and some don't say so they are probably grape. Will probably drink one each time I'm down for a visit.

Back