My Grandfather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
My German/Swedish grandfather in Killdeer, North Dakota made several wines from fruits that he gathered himself around the area; the ones that I remember hearing the most about were chokecherry, bullberry, apple and crabapple, but I am sure there were others. He also brewed his own beer - using cans of “malt extract” that could be found in the grocery stores back in those days and wild hops found in the countryside - but that’s a story for another thread.

By today’s standards, his methods would be considered pretty rudimentary. He would get the juice from these fruits (or use them whole), add table sugar, bread yeast and water as needed, and then let the magical combination do its thing. He would keep the wine in 1-gallon carboys, then bottle them after a period of time in whatever jars or bottles were available. The ones I remember in particular were juice jars and old wine bottles. No fancy techniques, no fining, no consistent, scientific/engineering approach...no nothing. He might have sweetened some of it up a little, but for the most part, he just let it age, and drank it slowly, a glass or two each night.

And yet, I remember that wine being more than incredible; this is not mere nostalgia, it really was good wine. I remember “swiping” one of his bottles of apple wine (or was it crabapple?) as a teenager and sharing it with a friend. I’m fairly certain that it was (and remains) the best wine I’ve ever had.

Those of you who have gotten to know me know that connections with my roots are very important to me, and as I get older I realise more and more that preserving and passing this heritage forward is essential. I am having to get most of it second-hand, but by writing it down and making sure my children know of it, I am ensuring that many valuable family traditions and aspects will live on into our future. I am not simply talking about homemade beer and wine or food and recipes, of course; however, since that is what this forum is concerned with, then these topics (and the stories that go with them) are indeed my medium for preserving our family’s legacy.

What's your motivation for your interest?

I'm a hunter-gatherer (forager in today's vernacular) by instinct and nature, so I generally do many things for myself from collecting wild mushrooms, hunting, fishing, making my own soap, hand harvesting wild rice, etc.

Winemaking was my first foray into fermenting, aside from sourdough bread, and was just a natural extension of my lifestyle.

I also now ferment veggies, like lacto fermented pickles and hot pepper sauce, kimchee, sauerkraut, even gochujang. It's just part of our healthy foraging lifestyle.

I've been making wine for more than 25 years, and I'm new to beer as I've only done that about 15 years.

Your background story sounds a lot like mine. Growing up there was always homemade wine at every family event: family reunions, baptisms, funerals, etc. Grandpa to this day will sometimes “just let it sit and go naturally, no need for the bread yeast this time”.

My story started at a young age: helping press apples for cider and wine, picking grapes, etc. I didn’t start making my own alcohol until college. Roommates and I got into beer; extract kits and not really knowing what we were doing. Since, I have now built an electric 10 gallon set-up and still do the occasional batch of wine. I am now the 5 generation (that I know of) and cannot wait to pass this awesome hobby to my children someday.

It's important to know where & who you come from. I think it's really cool that you're still learning from your ancestors AND that you're passing info on to your kids. My grandmother was born in Sweden & was of the opinion that she had to stop being Swedish in order to be an American; therefore she never passed on any cultural info/traditions/etc...
Makes it tougher for me to learn about such things; but I do the best I can with the resources I have. Thank goodness for the internet!

BTW, have you done any genealogy research on your Swedish roots & tracing your family tree?
Regards, GF.

Sounds like mine, grew up in the country and mum made wines from blackberries, elderberries, apples, crab apples, barley. Made beer from nettles. Bottles were anything you could get your hands on, receipes I'm using her book.
I remember one of the nettle beer bottles exploded under the sink as a kid and and 10 + years later when moving the beer stain was still on the ceiling above the sink. My brothers and their friends in the 80's used to fish alot and one of them took a bottle of "non alcoholic" ginger beer with them, mum still remembers the 2 of them coming up the road on the bike one of them was on the handle bars and they were weaving all over the place. The beer was very much alcoholic and the 2 of them were scuttered.
Made our own jellies from crab apples and rose hip petals and cordials and as you said they tasted so much better back then/
I think times were more innocent then and for me I've always been into nature etc and with my health problems it gets me out for a bit.

Great replies, everyone - keep them coming!

have you done any genealogy research on your Swedish roots & tracing your family tree?

Unfortunately, not much. What I know is that she embarked for America from Gävle, and that she seems to be have been one hell of a woman.

Sooner or later, I'll see if I can glean any information from my dad, and perhaps from my aunts, as I plan to head back to North Dakota next summer.

Latest posts

Back