40 mins into Mash, temp is 160...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ckarsanac

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What to do... what to do....

Will I get any sugar, or have I cooked most of the enzymes? Beermaster software said strike at 165. I said, "NAH! 13# of grain on a cold 45 degree day..." So, I struck with 9 gallons of 170.

I'll follow through and get a OG, but should I wait longer, maybe 90 minutes?

Next time stir the mash aggressively and maybe add some cool water. That will drop the temp down quick.

After 40 minutes, it's too late to change it. But that's ok, if it was under about 162 the whole time, you'll get conversion. There is one IPA recipe from Jamil's Can You Brew It series that was mashed at 160 (Lagunitas, maybe?).

My preference is to mash most "regular" beers at 152-154, but I go up to 156-158 with my Dead Guy clone and my oatmeal stout. You can expect full conversion, and probably a higher FG at the end.

No need to mash longer, in fact, you probably fully converted at 160 in 20 minutes or less.

Yooper said:
After 40 minutes, it's too late to change it. But that's ok, if it was under about 162 the whole time, you'll get conversion. There is one IPA recipe from Jamil's Can You Brew It series that was mashed at 160 (Lagunitas, maybe?).

My preference is to mash most "regular" beers at 152-154, but I go up to 156-158 with my Dead Guy clone and my oatmeal stout. You can expect full conversion, and probably a higher FG at the end.

No need to mash longer, in fact, you probably fully converted at 160 in 20 minutes or less.

Actually, I believe that's the Deschutes Black Butte Porter clone ;)

After boil, SG was 1.04. I'll take it. It's a single malt beer anyway, so I don't have too high expectations. More of a proof of concept beer...

Yeah. No sparge. I've given up on that. One and done for me. Especially since, SWMBO grants me, at most, about 4 hours to complete the task at hand.

I didn't add any LME. I'll be drinking this during the warmer spring, so a lighter beer is ok with me.

I often make IPA's that I mash at 159 -160. It gives me less fermentable sugar, and it leaves the beer with a bigger, sweeter, maltier, fuller bodied beer which is what I am sometimes going for. They generally finish around 1.014 - 1.016. No problem.

I assume that I only got 37 (1.040 after boil) because the water temperature was too high and didn't allow the enzymes to be able to break down the starch.

Right? That's my basic understanding of all grain beer-brewology...

I am NO expert, but its my understanding that your OG wouldn't be much effected by the higher mash temp. Its just that you will have sugars that are less fermentable. I may be wrong on that though. When I mash high (158-159) I get similar OG's as I do with the same grain bill mashed at 154, but my FG is higher. Say I mashed at 154 I might get a FG of 1.010, but mashed at 159 I would get a FG of 1.016 on the same yeast. But the OG would be the same.

Alan

Seems like a low extraction, my question would be does the extra water in your mash really help with your conversion ? Also my understanding you will end up with a fuller more malty beer.

Back