4 Thermometers , 4 Tempratures ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFCARTER

Reaction score
I thought about taking a picture but eff that. I have 4 thermometers two digital , two analog. They all disagree. The two digitals are the closest to each other within about 5 degrees.

W T F. First all grain brew and I am confused on which to trust.

5 degree difference, that sucks.

unfortunately most $12 "instant read" thermos just suck. go buy a thermopen. or ask for one for christmas.

put them all in a glass full of icewater and use whichever is closest to 32F

Normally analog thermos are used as standards, but they have to be well-made in the first place, and preferably mercury. What is the range on the two analogs? If you look closely at the column, are there any small bubbles? If so, you need to get it as cold as possible to try to suck the bubble back into the bulb.

If none of those work, then calibrate your digital to ice water and boiling water and hope for the best. Unfortunately you really want to check in the middle of that range, around the temps you will be mashing at...

From our friends in physics:

"A researcher with a thermometer knows what the temperature is; a researcher with two thermometers is confused."

"A researcher with a thermometer knows what the temperature is; a researcher with two thermometers is confused."

This really brings up a good point. It really does not matter what the exact temperature is (for the most part). Use a temperature and adjust from that the next time. Just make sure you always use the same thermometer.

This really brings up a good point. It really does not matter what the exact temperature is (for the most part). Use a temperature and adjust from that the next time. Just make sure you always use the same thermometer.

Meh... I'd say for mash temperatures, you want to be pretty close. I mean, if your beers are coming out pretty full-bodied and your attenuation looks low, wouldn't you want to know if it was related to the recipe, the yeast/fermenation, or because your thermometer was off and you were mashing at 156° instead of 151°?

I'm not convinced that five degrees would make a HUGE difference with something like chilling to pitching temps (confession time; I tend to pitch a little high, usually around 75°-ish, and I'll be damned if I get any off-flarors). For mash temps, where you've got a fairly tight range where the different enzymes are working, I'd argue that you really want to be sure you're within a couple of degrees at least. The Thermopen accuracy is probably a bit of overkill, but better than being off by 5°.

Well, the post mash wort came out to 1.05. OG became 1.062. I must have done something right =D.
:ban:
:mug:
Lets hope it ferments good.

I was going to go all irate and just scrap it then I remembered the words of Papazian, RDWHAH. And I just let it do its thing.

$100 for a thermometer? I thought all-grain was supposed to be cheaper. What a rip-off.

That thing's awesome, though. It's total overkill, but how many thermometers do you know where you can stick it in the middle of a steak, pull it out and it'll show you the temperature gradient within the meat? I ain't got $100 burning a hole in my pocket, but if I did the Thermopen is pretty effin' sweet.

That thing's awesome, though. It's total overkill, but how many thermometers do you know where you can stick it in the middle of a steak, pull it out and it'll show you the temperature gradient within the meat? I ain't got $100 burning a hole in my pocket, but if I did the Thermopen is pretty effin' sweet.

I could really get on board with this. I have only been brewing for six months, and have burned thru two cheap digitals as they are not water (or sanitizer) proof. The cheap dial therm I bought as a backup has tiny numbers that are difficult to read (younguns, you will get there) so a $100 CALIBRATED and water and heat proof way of taking temps in a variety of things seems to be worth it just so I don't have to f@c& with the alternatives. Santa, I have been a good boy this year . . . :mug:

... with my gadget-crush on the Thermopen established, I currently use a little thermometer from Target that seems to be very accurate and that's worked well for me for quite some time. I've bought a few that have been total pieces of ****, but this one (which I can't find a link too, sorry) has been quite good to me for only ~$12. Wish it were a *little* faster-reading so I could more easily check the mash, but I'm in no rush to upgrade. Plenty of things I'd spend $100 before I bought a real fancy thermo.

Of course, if it would also be useful for you for COOKING or GRILLING....... they sell a metric ****ton of the Thermopens at Thanksgiving for a reason. I thought I had read that it was the one all the food inspectors use.

I have even used my thermapen to check ground temperatures, room temps, faucet water temp, the temp in my computer case, aquarium temps....

To each his own. I don't have a Thermopen yet, may never buy one. Pretty much all the gear we buy after we've spent the first $100 is optional, anyway. Good thermo won't make better beer, but it might make life easier and it's a freakin' cool tool.

For what it's worth, I opted for this one after dealing with some issues on a Polder wired probe thermometer that got a tiny bit wet.

So far the new one has served me just fine. Having the longer stem has been a welcomed bonus as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't trust anything until I burned a $100 amazon gift card on a thermopen. I love that thing and it reads my boiling water at 212.2 which is very comforting.

$100 for a thermometer? I thought all-grain was supposed to be cheaper. What a rip-off.

$100 buys alot of malt extract.

Who said all-grain is cheaper? It may be in the really, really, long run (after all of the equipment/gear purchases).....

But most all-grain brewer's wouldn't say it's about cost - rather control, flexibility, fun, more "pure" way of brewing, etc...

If it was all about cost, we'd all be drinking natty ice :D

Cheap is cheap people, you get what you pay for. It is always amusing to hear people complain about the thing they are using only to find out the got it at WalMart. How well do you think those little Chinese kids can make things anyway?
Don't skimp on equipment. By the best stuff you can at the best price you can get it.
Specifically this: http://www.comarkltd.com/product.tpl?product_id=415
Should be $20-25.

OK so here is the difference in thought on my thermapen. I originally bought mine for cooking. (still it's main use) When I started using it for brewing it was "0" extra cost. :ban:

I recently got a new glass thermometer because I'd misplaced my trusty bi-metal one for a week or so, then a couple of mashes ago I put both of them into the top of my mash at the same time and same place; 4 degrees difference. I thought, oh crap, what temp am I at? And what temp was I at with those previous brews???

When several times a year I'm spending 4 to 5 hours just to make wort, then more time carefully monitoring fermentation temps, then more time bottling, then more time fretting over the taste of it, then more time looking at my notes and comparing the results and trying to figure out what I could change to make it better... I damn well want to know whether I mashed at 149 or 153F.

I don't have a thermapen yet but one is at the top of my xmas list, and it'd be the first thing I'll buy if it didn't show up for me at xmas (only because it seems the most accurate option; I'd pay more if need be).

Same here, originally it was for cooking, now I use it for both. It is awesome!

OK so here is the difference in thought on my thermapen. I originally bought mine for cooking. (still it's main use) When I started using it for brewing it was "0" extra cost. :ban:

Cheap is cheap people, you get what you pay for. It is always amusing to hear people complain about the thing they are using only to find out the got it at WalMart. How well do you think those little Chinese kids can make things anyway?
Don't skimp on equipment. By the best stuff you can at the best price you can get it.
Should be $20-25.

that's a pretty solid thermo for pretty cheap. as long as the +- 1F accuracy includes probe error.

I will probably eventually get one of these but for now I am running the odds. I am actually contemplating how the ancient folks did it. I am guessing its sticking your finger in the top of the water. No burn = 130-, a little burny = 140, burny = 150, ow = 160, OUCH! = 170, F$#% = 180 + .

I need to test this theory with hot pots sitting at the relative temperatures until I can know them by feel.

I will probably eventually get one of these but for now I am running the odds. I am actually contemplating how the ancient folks did it. I am guessing its sticking your finger in the top of the water. No burn = 130-, a little burny = 140, burny = 150, ow = 160, OUCH! = 170, F$#% = 180 + .

I need to test this theory with hot pots sitting at the relative temperatures until I can know them by feel.

I think they had words for what the water looks like as it gets hotter and hotter.

I'm all for the metal candy thermometer. I can get a rolling boil in some water on my stove and calibrate it to 212 and know that I'm pretty darn close to actual temps. I use it for my coffee in the mornings too. :mug:

That's actually how decoction mashing came about, not having a thermometer to know what temp your mash was at. You could take a given volume of your mash, that's pretty easy to measure. Heat it to a boil (always 212°) and return it to the main mash, and that'll give you a pretty consistent mash temperature each time. Little trial and error, and you've got your mash steps down.

I have a basic cooking probe one that is very accurate. One of the digital ones with the wire, but apparently you cant get the wire wet...

Should be $20-25./QUOTE]

Looks good, however, although I found the thermometer on their website, I didn't see a price listed or how it could even be purchased. How did you acquire yours?

I work at a restaurant supply store that stocks them.

Northernlad,

I found one rebranded as Cooper on Amazon. There are a few Amazon Storefronts selling them.

Although similar, its not rebranded. Cooper Atkins & Comark (Fluke) are different products.

I tell my brewing buds - The thermometer will Fkfjdls;ack you. Always.

While I can imaging the Thermopen is an orgasmic pleasure of knowing exactly what temp your wort is at the instant the proboscis is inserted into the liquid of fun, it is a bit too expensive for me at the moment.

So - lab thermometer - very accurate but quite fragile...i.e. if you so much as look at it like you were gonna bend it, it would fracture like Superman flicking an iron bar away from him.

Digital - ya water proof like swiss cheese like those packets of moisture absorbers stuffed into your spice bottles.

So... best bet of both worlds:

lab thermometer - stupid accurate but not their description -- 0 - 230F
This thing is super accurate - crazy even. Just don't sneeze on it.

And the Digital - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021AEAG2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
key to this little bugger is its "calibratable" <- new word

So I use the silly stupid accurate lab thermo ($12) to verify that my digital ($14) is still being honest to me

One extra step to check but this is how we do it in the military anyways.

And always remember - the thermometer will fFDSAck you.

Back