4.0 GPA Recipe Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chipman

Reaction score
Hey mates!

I'm fixin to brew up a pretty big extract brew today or tomorrow. Looking for some feedback with technique, numbers, recipe etc.

Here's what I have for you, a quadruple german pale ale (like an American pale ale but showcasing german hops instead)

Batch size 3 gallons, boiling 3.5 or 4.

6 lbs Munton's Light DME
1 lb Weyerman Caramunich I
1 lb Weyerman Pale Wheat

1 oz German Magnum 13.4 % AA
1 oz Hersbrucker 2.6 %
1 oz Hallertau 4.0 %
1 oz Tettnang 3.7 %

Target numbers: OG 1.098, FG 1.025, IBU 74, ABV 9.4

My plan after steeping specialty grains is to boil 1.5 lbs or so of the DME for the full 60 minutes, while adding the Magnum at 60, and a blend of Hallertau and Tettnang at 20 and 0. Adding the rest of the DME at 5.

I have a very well conditioned WYeast 1056 from my local brewery, and will add quite a bit of it. Ferment at 65 degrees F for about 2 weeks min or until the FG is reached. Then dry hopping with the Hersbrucker for another week, not letting the beer sit in primary for more than 3.5-4 weeks. Sadly no vessel to 2ndary in so oh well. My primary is a corny keg with 2 blowoff tubes coming from the bare pegs. It worked brilliantly for a pumpkin ale!

Any feedback you could send my way would be well appreciated,

Cheers!

Looks great! You may want to do a 1.5L simple starter with your yeast, though, with such a high OG.

The yeast I got from my local pub is pretty awesome 1056 very well conditioned, put in about a cup worth of it, probably a gazillion cells. It's still bubbling away after 10 days so I'm hopeful!

It does look good. May I suggest you double the Hersbrucker, if you are going to dry hop with that? Those hops don't have as distinctive an aroma as many American hops do, so you may need more to get the quality you are looking for.

I'll have to try that one next time, already had the ingredients for this batch prepped and ready. Ended up dryhopping with the Hallertau anyway though, will test and bottle tomorrow if ready. Hope it tastes as good as it did last time!

Back