37 IBU Too Much For a Fruit Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrManifesto

Reaction score
i brewed a golden ale, a little on the hoppy side but now have a wild bug in me to throw some fruits and spices in it. thinking something like apples and oranges with a stick of cinnamon and a tsp of vanilla in the secondary. maybe some basil? i have a fair bit of cilantro growing in the back yard (can you tell i just watched the latest episode of brewing tv? haha)

anyway, i'm just worried that 37 IBU will make it too bitter and give me a funky thing. i'm not worried about making a weird beer, but i'd rather be set up to make a good one than do something kinda doomed from the get go.

Most fruit beers are 15-20ibu, but some are as high as 50-60 like DFH Aprihop. The bitterness of the hops can blend well with the sweetness of the fruit. I don't think 37 is too bitter for a fruit beer, but it depends on the kind of hops you used and their flavor.

Latest posts

Back