35 year old Demi John of wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAndo

Reaction score
Hi there,
In my shed there is a one gallon Demi John of wine that has been in there for about 35 years, a leftover from when my mother gave up wine making. It's clear as a bell and there's not much sediment.

Do I drink it or chuck it?

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I don't even have any idea what kind it is! It's a white, but it has quite a strong colour. It might be gooseberry, we did have gooseberry bushes in the garden!

..... Drink it!!!
Put a pic up and let us know what it's like

Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ha, this will be very interesting. Go for it!

My F-I-L brought up a 30 yr old 1G capped carboy of homemade wine his Dad made back in the day. He poured us a glass. I remember thinking the glass was far too big :) Heaaavily oxidized and tasted like bad Sherry. He did give us the carboy, so that was cool.

Why on earth would you even consider dumping it before tasting it?

Yeah, it's probably terrible - but it might not be!

If it was sanitary when putting it together and it's been sealed up plugged up, I suppose it's possible that's it's still tastey. Give it a taste!

Bottle some of it to save for the future and drink some of it, no idea why you would even consider anything else. WVMJ

No, I'm still here, just not got round it it! I'll investigate further at the weekend, including pics, promise!

No way that is still good after a 35 year stretch in a shed that's most likely being outdoors because its a shed. Worth a try for sure but i've had 25 year old even 18 year wine from a cellar that was awful.

Well, it's out of the shed and it smells like ...... sherry!! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393668534.349333.jpg
Gonna let it settle a bit and then syphon it out. The general consensus is that it started life as gooseberries.

It's far too alcoholic to be vinegar! Gooseberry lighter fluid, maybe. :)

Back