34/70 expiration question (and a few others)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphys_Law

Reaction score
Hello - I picked up some 34/70 last year thinking I would have time to brew during our COVID lockdown and that never happened! Anyway, I want to make a pils this weekend and the packs have a date of 10/20. So the classic question: Use or throwaway? FWIW, I was going to use 2 packs and they have been stored in the fridge.

I've never used dry lager yeast, the pack says to sprinkle so I am good there I guess, but do I ferment this like a "normal" lager? I was going to use the quick lager method which I've done a few times with liquid yeast. I can't image it being in different but just thought I'd check.

Thanks,

The yeast should be fine, I've used Fermetis dry yeast packs older than that and they worked just like new packs. If they were a few years off date, the viability would probably go down some.

Yeah, you can sprinkle on wort just like the pack says, it always works. I usually ferment 34/70 as a regular lager, at temps in low/mid 50's F, but it makes pretty good beer fermented at somewhat higher temps.

Not sure what quick lager is, but yeast works well for regular lagers.

The yeast should be fine, I've used Fermetis dry yeast packs older than that and they worked just like new packs. If they were a few years off date, the viability would probably go down some.

Yeah, you can sprinkle on wort just like the pack says, it always works. I usually ferment 34/70 as a regular lager, at temps in low/mid 50's F, but it makes pretty good beer fermented at somewhat higher temps.

Not sure what quick lager is, but yeast works well for regular lagers.

Thanks. I was hoping that would be the case. I don't really have time to drive to the shop so I'm good to go!

Quick lager is one of the exbeerimets or whatever they're called over at Brulosphy where they sped up the lager time.

Back