$300 for new equipment! What do I buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just won a weight loss competition at work and the prize money was $300! I figured I'd celebrate my hard lost pounds by expanding my brewing operation.

Also, more good news, I'm finally purchasing a Townhouse and now have room to expand to full boils! I've been making do with a 30qt turkey fryer on an electric stove and using a tub of ice water to chill the wort.

On my budget, what equipment can I purchase to expand my operation to all-grain full boils?

Mash tun (or the parts to make your own)
Another kettle for sparge water
Propane burner
Wort chiller (or the parts to make your own)
Grain mill
5 gallon buckets to store bulk grains
Refractometer
Thermometer
Etc...

40qt turkey fryer w/ burner (more expensive to buy separately, if you do the banjo burner is worth it).

If you have space, and don't control fermentation temps already, a cheap mini fridge (igloo 465 ~$120) and STC-1000.

Immersion chiller.

Rubbermaid round cooler, use your old kettle as a HLT.

Whatever lauter system floats you're boat ( I've always liked false bottom so you can fly sparge, braid or bazooka screens work ok for batch sparge).

Better Bottle.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Mash tun (or the parts to make your own)
Another kettle for sparge water
Propane burner
Wort chiller (or the parts to make your own)
Grain mill
5 gallon buckets to store bulk grains
Refractometer
Thermometer
Etc...

I do 10 gal batches on my stove with a 12 gallon HLT/ Boil Kettle and a modified cooler for a Mash Tun. If I had to prioritize the above I would say
Mash Tun
Immersion Chiller
Fermentation Chamber
Grain Mill
Kegs and stuff
Kettle
Refractomers etc////

Immersion chiller
10+ Gallon kettle
Grain mill (depending on whether you local store will mill or not...)

All very good suggestions. How will I decide. Whatever I choose, I'm sure my beer will definitely level up. Wish it would glow golden so people know.

Burner ($40-50)
10 or 15gal pot (Aluminum pots on Amazon are dirt cheap) ($40-50)
Chiller ($60-75)
Minifridge and temp controller (check craigslist for a used dorm fridge) (Under $100 used)
Grain mill ($100)

You should be able to get all this for around what you're looking to spend.

Burner ($40-50)
10 or 15gal pot (Aluminum pots on Amazon are dirt cheap) ($40-50)
Chiller ($60-75)
Minifridge and temp controller (check craigslist for a used dorm fridge) (Under $100 used)
Grain mill ($100)

You should be able to get all this for around what you're looking to spend.

When I was getting started I bought a thunder group 25 gal aluminum kettle on amazon for 67 bucks I think. with valve/thermometer/bulkhead I was around 100 bucks. Very economical.

You'd be surprised how much money a guy can save by finding deals on craigslist and dyi projects. make a cheap mash tun cooler by simply using a cooler you have or buying for nothing on craigslist. Haul it into homedepot and find the correct nipple/barb/stainless mesh service line/ball valve combination to put it together.

I bought a 70 dollar banjo burner when I was starting out but you don't really need one for smaller batches. Bayou makes some nice lower level burners that will do more than what you need for something in the 40-50$$ range.

Don't get into kegging until you are ready to invest a good chunk. A handful of kegs, co2 tank, regulator, manifold, freezer/keezer/kegerator/ and fitting/accessories can be found at bargain prices but it still adds up to a lot of money.

you can find good 2nd hand immersion chillers here on HBT for a very reasonable price.

forget the mill for now. have your lhbs mill it for you. I order nearly all of my ingredients online so I just have them mill it for me.

Just be frugal with your money and it can go long way in homebrewing.

Back