30 gal double wall stainless, what is it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timdillon36

Reaction score
I found this 'pan' on Craigslist and thought I need to check it out. I will get more pics later but it is double wall with a 1' NPT bung with ball valve and barb fitting from inside to outside and a thermometer from inside to outside. The sight glass is for the outer part and there r 2 bungs welded to the outer on the bottom. One is 1/2 NPT and the other 3/4. The hopper looking thing is just a cover to a hole in the outer part. It has a flat bottom and no false bottom or screen

Steam powered BK?

Temp controlled fermentation tank?

HLT

MLT

Screenshot_2015-05-11-18-08-49.jpg

I still don't understand what the previous owners plan was for this but I have come up with my own plan. Long term I hope to use it as a jacketed fermenter after i replace the lid and some other parts.but for now I plan to use it as a large double boiler. Not as sexy but I have a med size garden and usually end up making about 20 gal of tomato sauce in smaller batches. I could do it in one batch with out it having the possibility to scorch on the bottom. If I can't get the temp high enough I can just add some salt to the outer jacket.

So, you gonna' heat it with an open flame?
Is the "space in between" open to the atmosphere in some fashion, (re: ported perhaps)?
that was the plan. There is a hole high up on the outside with a spout welded over it. U can see thend spout but not the hole in the pic. That is where the steam can escape and I can top off with more hot water if needed.

Back