30 foot chiller with pre chiller enough for my situation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryodom

Reaction score
I have a small wort chiller at the moment that never really worked well and got worse when I started using keggles. So I was looking to upgrade to a larger chiller say this 30 foot Brewvint thing I'm seeing at Austin Home Brew. It suggests a pre-chiller use which is perfect since I already have this smaller chiller for that. Do you guys think this setup will be effective for 5-10 gallon batches in a keggle? If there's a better approach at a similar cost I'd love to hear about it. :mug:

Sounds good. I have like a 35-40' 1/4"OD copper immersion chiller. It gets 5 gal down to 90 in 15, but my groundwater is 80 so it doesn't cool much past that. I'm going to cut off 5 or more feet of coil and make a prechiller out of it.

That would work great. I have a 30' 1/4" copper immersion chiller. I changed to fittings on a small jockey box to use as a prechiller. I can swap from prechiller to jockey box in no time.

Sounds like a plan then. Ground water here in Baton Rouge is fairly cool so shouldn't be an issue.

Back