3 weeks till a big party, can I add one more batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird400

Reaction score
I am hosting a party in 3 weeks.

I have time to brew tomorrow morning.

I have most types of grain except wheat

I also have alot of diff. hops

I was thinking about using fermentis S-04 since it is fast

I am hoping that it will ferment, crash cool, and that I can add gelatin and polyclar to secondary in less than 8-10 days.
That gives me about 11-12 days to force carb.

I just don´t know what to brew :D

I am sure it can be done and that there are types of beer that can be served green to drunken friends that know nothing about beer other then that they love drinking beer :)

I however don´t know what style would be my best bet

Can you help me out :eek:

I have an all-Centennial Pale Ale in secondary that I am going to offer.

The batch I did last night and the one I am doing right now will be ready in 6 weeks, its one of our house ales.

I am going to offer a very light ale I call "Flake-Crazy-Ale", my Amarillo Rye Pale Ale, the Centennial Pale Ale, a Dortmunder and our House Ale along with a few well known brands for those who wish to stick to there canned beer.

An English Mild would be perfect except that I feel that beer should be above 5% ABV :)

I could try to find a mild recipe tonight and beef it up a bit

Do a wheat beer...quick turnaround, best drank when they are fresh & great this time of year.

disregard, I didn't see the "no wheat" the first time I read your post.

<----- looking at search results for southern english brown ale recipes at google

firebird400 said:
An English Mild would be perfect except that I feel that beer should be above 5% ABV :)

The lower the OG, the faster the beer will be ready. Session beers can be super tasty, but they should be engineered to be the way they are, so I'd personally not take a Mild recipe and crank it up.

Almost any ale under 4% can be acceptable in a 3 week window. I wouldn't go any higher if that was the deadline, though.

Yeah I guess that is true.

I am shooting for 4.4% ABV right now

Still working on the recipe, will post it here in a bit for you to pick at it for me

This is what I got right now.
I need to go and clean up and set up for tomorrow.
Hopefully this will have matured to a brewable recipe by the time I pass out from exhaustion :)

Stats
OG 1.046
FG 1.012
IBU 28
ABV 4.4 %
SRM 13
Specifics
Boil Volume 8.3 gallons
Batch Size 7.4 gallons
Yeast 75% AA
BHE 83%

% Weight Weight (lbs) Grain Gravity Points Color
29.1 % 3.30 German Munich 13.7 3.6
29.1 % 3.30 American Two-row Pale 13.7 0.8
29.1 % 3.30 German Vienna 13.7 1.3
7.8 % 0.88 American Crystal 120L 3.3 14.3
4.9 % 0.55 Crystal 60L 1.9 4.5
11.33 46.2

% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time Utilization IBU
48.4 % 1.00 oz. Fuggles Pellet 4.7 4.7 60 0.275 13.1
34.3 % 0.71 oz. East Kent Goldings Pellet 6.0 4.3 60 0.275 11.9
17.3 % 0.36 oz. East Kent Goldings Pellet 6.0 2.1 15 0.136 3.0
2.07 27.9

Well its past 11 over here and I have been brewing since 8 o´clock this morning, plus I am on my fourth Amarillo Rye Pale Ale @ 6.3 % ABV

And I plan on brewing something along the lines of what I posted above.

Feel free to critique it at will, I can make changes tomorrow morning.

And just so you know, I have never made a brown ale and I have never had a brown ale so your input in invaluable.

Thank you

Your recipe reads more like an Amber. Brown, to me, means lightly roasted grains like Victory, Brown, and (ironically) Amber malts, not Crystal so much. It's a subtle thing; Brown Ale, to me, means dry, toasty, even slightly rough or astringent flavors, while Amber Ales are where Crystal malts come out to play on their sweet, fruity stuff.

...but it looks way tasty. I'd brew the snot outta that. Well, I'd personally not use Goldings, but that's just because I'm not a fan.

Awesome, thank you.

I am going to look at a few Amber Ale recipes while I have breakfast and drink my coffee, I may find a new hop profile and keep the Goldings till I do a proper English one.

I don´t think I have never used them before.

I´ll keep you posted

Well since I don´t know if I am a fan myself I am going to go ahead and brew this.

So down with this cup of coffee and on with the brewing :D

OK its been less then 48 hours @ 65°f and the fermentation has stopped.

Gone from 1.050 down to 1.012.

Thinking about leaving it over night but then its straight over to secondary, cooling to about 52°f and adding gelatin.

Gonna give it 2 days and then Polyclar for 2 days.

That should give my more than 2 weeks to force carb.

I am looking forward to this one since it is going to be the fastest beer I have ever made.

Hope it is going to be decent :)

And yeah I overshot my target gravity, never been that much off before, was going for 1.046

Back