3 peace airlock vs blow off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
Well I fin my self having to clean the airlock and remove a lot of crap from it. Couple of time the lid would open to release pressure. Would a blow off valve work instead. Or does it depend on beer/ yeast? Or am I doing something wrong.

A blow off hose is what you need. Just get one that will fit the hole in your bung and run it into a container with star san solution in it. IIRC 3/8 tubing is what you need. For a better bottle bung anyway.

Hard to understand your question, but I take it you ferment in a bucket and krausen is clogging the airlock causing the lid to pop open. Am I correct? Would a blow off tube work, yes it would. Doesnt matter what type of yeast or beer. A blow off is designed for exactly what its called, The krausen reaches the top of the fermenter and goes out (Blows) of the hose/tube. Every fermentation is different. Hope this helps.

found a new trick (I think), just use one of these then fit what ever you want to it

I just do this

Ailockbo1.jpg

Never used a blowoff and I don't use fermcap either, just a 3pc airlock. Are you doing too big of batch sizes for your bucket?

Only had one time where it clogged my airlock and that was my 2nd batch ever, a hefeweizen extract kit.

I use this setup and never have to worry about a clog. I have drilled a hole in the tube to allow a thermowell to be inserted.

image-586971749.jpg

Back