3 more batches under the belt - more questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregfreemyer

Reaction score
This fall I did 2 Wit Biers and a Dunkelweizen. I haven't tasted the dunkel yet.

Things I've observed:

- The wit biers taste different one bottle to the next. Also the carbonation variation between bottles can be huge. I've had a couple bottles with massive carbonation.

I brewed, racked to secondary, and bottled both of those batches outside. The bottles themselves I washed last spring, then I only sanitized them (with a vinator) immediately before filling.

What is the likely cause of the variation? Contaiminants from the air? Or not re-washing the bottles a day or two before use?

- The wit biers just get better and better with time in the bottle. 8 weeks in the bottle and they are fantastic. Because of that, I'm waiting on the Dunkel it let it get closer to optimum before I try them.

At what point is the home brew "completely" bottle conditioned (65 to 70 degrees average conditioning temps)?

- Once the conditioning is over, should I store them in the cooler for maintaining freshness, or keep it at room temp the whole time, ...until its time to cool for drinking?

Thanks
Greg

When you add your priming sugar to the bottling bucket, make sure you *gently* stir a little bit once the rest of the beer has been added. This ensures even distribution of the sugar.

I always wash my bottles thoroughly in the dishwasher prior to sanitizing them. I've found this results in more consistency in the bottled beer, even if they didn't look dirty in the first place.

Are you filling all the bottles up to the same line? Different fill levels could result in different carbonation.

Most beers are done by 3 weeks. However, higher gravity beers take longer. I've known beers that use belgian yeast to also take a little longer to develop.

Once you think they are done conditioning to your liking, you can keep them in a cooler environment to slow the process down.

I'll start washing the bottles within a day or two of filling and store them upside down until use.

I hadn't paid that much attention to the exact fill line. Never realized it would matter, assuming the bottle is close to full. I have dispensing wand finally, if I use that to get the bottle 99.9% full, then pull it out I have a small air-gap at the top. Is that the target I should be shooting for?

Once you think they are done conditioning to your liking, you can keep them in a cooler environment to slow the process down.

Well, I've been moving the beer to a cool area after a week or so (50 degrees), but then I noticed the wheat beers I've been doing recently just keep improving with time, even in the cooler environment. 8 weeks or so is the longest I've managed to save one without drinking it.

I've got some Dunkelweizen at 3 weeks in the bottle, room temp the whole time. I'm going to call it done and try it out. :mug:

BTW: If I think it is done, what process is there I'm trying to slow down after that? ie. does the beer start to deteriorate if left at room temp too long?

Thanks
Greg

The air gap at the top of the bottle should be roughly what occurs after you pull out the bottling wand in a full bottle. Consistency is key. Too little of a gap, you will be over carbonated and could have exploding bottles. Too small of a gap and you will be under carbonated.

Conditioning in bottles occurs faster at higher temperatures. Yeast is still alive in there. It's just like storing anything else that is perishable. Colder temps mean longer storage times.

The golden rule is 3 weeks @ 70. Repeat after me: 3 weeks @ 70. 3 weeks @ 70. 3 weeks @ 70. :)

However - big beers take longer. I have an imperial stout (10% abv) that I let sit for 2 months before I move to colder temperatures.

I've noticed, when i bottled, that before cracking bottles open, they benefit a couple days in the fridge prior to drinking. Throw some dunkel in the fridge and drink in a couple days

Latest posts

Back