3 months in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayni

Reaction score
So I brewed Northern Brewers Sweet Stout on January 20th and didn't get to bottling it til today, which is almost 3 months sitting in the primary. Is this a bad habit I need to break and any ideas if it will even be good to drink? Kinda nervous that I may have just wasted a whole batch of brew, Thanks!

I just kegged a batch that I had brewed the beginning of December two weeks ago and I was worried about the same thing. Needless to say the beer turned out great and I'm enjoying one as I type. Good luck but I think you should be fine.

Breck09 said:
I just kegged a batch that I had brewed the beginning of December two weeks ago and I was worried about the same thing. Needless to say the beer turned out great and I'm enjoying one as I type. Good luck but I think you should be fine.

Good to know I'm not the only one! ;) thanks, glad yours turned out too

Yes, that's a bad habit that you need to break. If you keep doing that, you're going to keep running out of beer. However, the chances are that the beer will still be fine, but the only way to tell is to wait for another 3 - 4 weeks for it to carbonate, and then to sample it.

-a.

ajf said:
Yes, that's a bad habit that you need to break. If you keep doing that, you're going to keep running out of beer. However, the chances are that the beer will still be fine, but the only way to tell is to wait for another 3 - 4 weeks for it to carbonate, and then to sample it.

-a.

LOL you're right! Brewing is better and I just keep running to the liquor store. ;)

Most people used to be concerned about yeast autolysis which is why it is so common to rack from a primary to a secondary but I think the common thought now is that you don't have to actually worry about that with small batches of beer so leaving it on the primary for an extended period of time should be fine.

I still rack to the secondary because I like to wash and save my yeast as well as add clarifying agents to the secondary.

cmybeer said:
Most people used to be concerned about yeast autolysis which is why it is so common to rack from a primary to a secondary but I think the common thought now is that you don't have to actually worry about that with small batches of beer so leaving it on the primary for an extended period of time should be fine.

I still rack to the secondary because I like to wash and save my yeast as well as add clarifying agents to the secondary.

Thanks, for some reason I was worried that it would somehow self contaminate, maybe over thinking on my part, guess only time will tell! :) I usually 2nd as well because it frees up my equipment and I like to clarify as much as possible.

3 months for a stout will give you... a nice stout. Bigger beers do better with long bulk aging.

I agree. My second brew was a Imperial Mocha Stout and it was 3 months from start to bottle and currently working on 5 weeks in bottle. It turned out GREAT. My third brew is a Breakfast Stout and I plan on doing the same thing.

Back