3 gallon size keg fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rottenpotato

Reaction score
It's winter. I am sick of drinking my ciders and fruit wines, and wan't to get back to making beer. my biggest problem is space. I live in a tiny 12X15 efficiency, which is why I typically use 4X3gal better bottles to make simple pour and pitch apple and cherry wines, which I find pretty drinkable most of the time, but the change in weather has me craving a nice glass of beer.

I HATE bottling. I really want a keg fridge but I just don't have space for one. I wonder if anyone has ever seen a 3 gallon mini keg fridge or has tried some kind of hack or mod that would allow me to keg my 3 gallon batches of beer in such a tiny space?

I'm looking at these little mini keg tap systems, made for 5L heineken cans. I wonder if there is some way I could keg my beer in that size? any suggestions would be helpful! thanks...

Check craigslist. I used to see someone trying to sell the minikegerator daily. Or look into getting a party pig.

I'd be wary. If you look into the best/worst gadgets thread, many many people thought that Mini Kegs were one of the worst beer related investments they've made. On the other hand you can get smaller kegs instead. I'd think if you went 3 Gallon with a Paintball based CO2 tank, you could get things down to a pretty small space.

10ltr, plastic (Sanke):
http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=38_332&products_id=2357
3Gallon Stainless (Ball Lock):
http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_44&products_id=691

Jawbox0:

yeah, I've seen the stainless 3 gallons (compared to a refurbished corney @ $30-40 they seem like a gouge). The main problem for me is the fridge and tap. What I like about the mini kegerator is its tabletop design. I just haven't found any first hand info about using one for homebrew. I figure if someone spends $150 on a thing designed to pour their heineken for them, they are bound to feel ripped off, but it might just be the answer to my particular dilemma. plus I like the idea of being able to rotate beers 5L at a time instead of having to finish off all 3 gallons at once before I move on to the next beer. It seems like the brew king mini keg is a pretty new thing, and hasn't undergone a lot of field testing. for less than $200 to get started though I figure this little experiment might be worth it.

Back