3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am planning on doing a PM of this for my next brew. I have been wanting to try WLP007 ( http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp007.html )or WLP002 (http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp002.html ). Both English Ale yeasts, 002 finishes sweeter than 007. I want to see how much clearer they leave the beer and after reading the reviews it sounds like they work well in IPA's. Anyone tried them? Think a Zombie Dust clone would be a good candidate for this or should I stick with the California Ale yeast?

I used S-04 on half of mynlast batch. Not a direct replacement for 002 or 007 from what I have read, but is an English yeast. I haven't tasted it since bottling, but initial fermented samples of it were fruitier and far clearer than the half batch I pitched S-05 into.

Just added the dry hops only went with 2 oz but I'm hopeful it turns out great. Little worried about the yeasty stickies on the side of the carboy. But will see after ten more days , brewed up on Oct 9th.

ForumRunner_20111026_072259.jpg

ForumRunner_20111026_072333.jpg

I brewed this up a couple months ago using the latest recipe and had great results. Everybody that has tried it has really enjoyed it. I did use some additional hops for the 5 and 1 minute additions, just so I didn't have an unopened package left, as I also have a nice supply of Citra hops!!!! I can't wait to brew it again.

I am having my first bottle from the batch I bottled 10/17. It is from the S-04 yeast half of the batch, and I must say it is pretty damn good. Lots of juicy citrus/tropical hop flavor and aroma. I dry-hopped this one 14 days (went on a work trip and forgot to pull the hops out), which I will cut back to 10 days next time. It was starting to get grassy notes, but still smells great. It wasnt fully car bed up and only sat in the fridge about 18 hours, so I think it should still get a little better. I'll report back once I try a bogle from the S-05.

the last one i brewed the s-05 dried it out too much, but i also may have mashed too low - 151... i'm really curious what you find in your side by side comparison skeezer. glad your still determined to figure this beer out.

I'm gonna have to try one of the latest all grain recipes soon. I only have 3 of my 7 fermenters in use right now and zombie dust sounds like a good candidate for another batch.

Just ordered ingredients for a partial mash. I'm going to try the White Labs San Diego Super Strain yeast.

skeezerpleezer:

Planning on doing my first AG next week with your recipe after I got addicted to Zombie Dust at GABF.

Do you have decision on the which yeast strain you prefer?

Cheers

I have been traveling most of the past 2 weeks and haven't done a head to head yet. I will put some in the fridge when i get home tonight, and report back tomorrow.

After spending 6 weeks in Chicago and going through nearly 3 cases worth of Zombie Dust I had to try to brew one. I have about 30 minutes left in the boil now. My recipe is similar to some that I have seen here.

12lb 2 row
.5lb each of C-40, Carapils, Melanoidin.
My hop schedule is a little different but not my much.

The big difference in mine though is the yeast. I am using Wyeast 1968 London ESB. I have been told this is what 3F uses as their house yeast.

And as far as the First wort hops in the original posters recipe, I'm not too sure on the comparison to a 20 minute addition, I am fairly certain that the 20 minute idea is for mash hopping. FWH would pretty much be the same as 60 or 90 minute depending on your boil time since the hops are still in there. That could be why the beer taste more bitter than your numbers are showing.

Finally got the side by side of my last attempt I did splitting the batch with S-04 and S-05 (post #88 of this thread). Unfortunately I moved away from IL so don't have access to FFF's Zombie Dust anymore, but I am flying to Chicago in a few weeks, so will take some of mine with me to compare.

Here are some notes from my two:

-S-04 is a lot fruitier than the S-05. Peach/Mango/Apricot with a lot of citrus in the mix as well. S-05 has similar qualities, just not as much as the S-04
-S-05 is much more bitter tasting. The @-05 fermented out a few points lower, so that could be impacting this.
-S-04 is a bit sweeter, but definitely not overly sweet. I may add some crystal to the next one.
-S-04 cleared better (so far). I did not crash cool this, and only had it in the fridge about 10 hours prior to drinking though.
-The bitterness, color, and hopping are damn close. I may try upping the crystal, perhaps adding .25-.5 of Caramel 10 or 20 next time. I will probably wait until I try the real deal in a few weeks to decide on this for sure.
-next time I will not forget to pull the dryhops (went 14 days on accident, started to get a little grassy, but it is still very close). Next time I will do 7-10 days like the original batch, then do a second dry hop if needed.

So, as is right now, I think I prefer the S-04 and it is closer to the original. If you like more bitterness and crisp IPAs, S-05 would be more up your alley. The g/f really liked the S-04 due to it's fruitiness (she normally doesn't like ipas much, so that says something).

KobainIsAlive-
I considered using the 1968 since it is used in some other FFF "clones", but had a bunch of S-04 on hand and have seen it can be a replacement for 1968, albeit not an exact one. Let us know how it turns out. Maybe I'll do another split next time with it and S-04.

The FWH bitterness seems to be a debatable topic all over the boards. I don't know how many ibus it puts in, but do know it doesn't taste as bitter as a normal 60 minute addition. The bitterness is pretty close. Some of that could be that my hops lost some AA, they were about 6mo old. If I move the "20" FWH to 60, it only adds another 10 ibus. I think if I were to use the S-05 in the future, I may cut the ibus back some, but keep them close to the same with the S-04. Can you post up your hop schedule once you get to try it and let us know what you think?

I think yours is going to be good, but it will probably come in light in color. My first attempt was around 7.3 SRM and was lighter in a side by side with the original at the bar.

:mug:

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Zombie Dust Clone
Brewer: Todd Holder
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 9.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.00 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 8.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 77.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 67.7 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type %/IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 40.5 IBUs
1.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 36.8 IBUs
2.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 0.0 IBUs
12 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 87.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.6 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 1.8 %
8.0 oz Melanoidin (Weyermann) (30.0 SRM) Grain 3.6 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.6 %
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [124. Yeast

Mashed @ 150 for 90 minutes.

I went with higher IBU's because I usually throw the hops in loose, but I used hop bags this go around. I figured I wouldn't get as much utilization as throwing them in loose. We'll see.... it might end up more bitter than what I'm going for but that's not a bad thing in my opinion. My previous post I forgot to mention the C40 and had my amount of C60 wrong. The 90 minute boil is going to add some more color. I also came up a little short on my OG compared to the ZD. Soooo.....this probably won't be cloned but it should turn out to be a decent beer.

Well....It's really not going to be cloned now. I just realized I don't have anymore Citra for my dry hopping. I'm gonna use some Falconers Flight instead. I'll try harder next time to have all my **** together when trying to clone something....haha.

Looks like it should be an awesome beer. I haven't used falconers flight, but have about ¼ lb I need to use up. I have heard good things about it.

Finally got the side by side of my last attempt I did splitting the batch with S-04 and S-05 (post #88 of this thread). Unfortunately I moved away from IL so don't have access to FFF's Zombie Dust anymore, but I am flying to Chicago in a few weeks, so will take some of mine with me to compare.

It's a very different beer now and a different recipe for mass distribution. The new Zombie Dust has a lighter SRM, is much drier, clear not at all hazy and lost most of its fruitiness. The first few sips you do taste the Citra but then you're left wondering if you're drinking an Alpha King instead.

Our clones are much better than the new formula. I really think this beer needs to lean to the malty/sweet side for the Citra. 3 Floyds has turned it into just another IPA.

Just finished my partial mash up. Hit the numbers pretty close. Had a slight boil over, but still came in at 1.062. My next investment will be a 10-15 gallon pot. Doing full boils in a 7.5g can get a little hairy.

I added the .75oz FWH addition to the mash with about 8-10 minutes left before sparge.
I have to say the sample was pretty intense (lemony). Has that been your experience also? Will it mellow a lot when it ferments out?

I agree, the tropical taste comes out after fermentation, even more after dry hop. I still get some very nice citrusy flavors to compliment it.

I imagine you know this, but a good cheap 15g brew pot can be made from a keg. They are on craigslist all the time sometimes for under $20. That is next on my list of things to purchase also.

I wanted to brew a citra only ipa and this looks tasty! The only thing I'm going to do different is use Wyeast 1968(or WLP002). Apparently that's 3 Floyds go to yeast and most of their other cloned beer recipes use it. Melanoiden Malt seems to be a staple of theirs too so it's good to see it in here.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the recipe skeezer :mug:

skeezerpleezer,

I noticed a while back you mentioned you would do a 90 minute boil.

Just wondering if you had thought of a hop schedule for this?

Cheers

I just did a 90 min boil because I was using pilsner malt instead of regular 2row ( I guess pilsner needs 90 min to get rid of DMS). I didn't change the hop schedule, and it turned out great.

Also, I grabbed some Wyeast 1968, so will try that next if it works well for the others that are trying it.

Cold crashing the extract recipe I brewed up on Oct 9. Can't wait to carb it up a try some. Could be Christmas gifts coming from this batch. :) cheers

I just did a 90 min boil because I was using pilsner malt instead of regular 2row ( I guess pilsner needs 90 min to get rid of DMS). I didn't change the hop schedule, and it turned out great.

Also, I grabbed some Wyeast 1968, so will try that next if it works well for the others that are trying it.

Thanks mate, I will continue with the FWH then.

Cheers

Well took my clone of zombie dust to the in-laws in munster Indiana for turkey day and it was a hit, Lil cloudy but most said spot on. Citra hops are good and prevalent but it is a great drinking brew. Side by side mine wins out so far but in still need to try when going all grain.

Mine is drinking great. Turned out a lot closer than I thought it would. The Falconers Flight turned out to go very well with the Citra. It even fermented a little cooler than usual....around 64-65*F. I really dig the 1968/Citra combo. I will be brewing this one again. I will probably do 10 gallons next time and split the batch to 5 gallon Citra 5 gallon Falconers Flight in the dryhop.

I feel like brewing up 10 gallons of this for summer time.. thinking about it.. DONE

I will be bottling mine on Tuesday or Wednesday. It did seem to mellow a bit when I pulled a sample before secondary. Still pretty intense though.

It's still not completely cloned yet. The recipe in this thread is good but it's a little different than the real Zombie Dust.

Post #88 I think. But any of the recipes will turn out good. I put a pound of rye in my last batch and it was quite tasty.

I would guess the real thing has no carapils because there's no head retention. I would also guess that it doesn't use cyrstal 60 but something else.

All I know is the extract batch I did is great, a bit more amber but many say just as tasty and some what more ale like....anyways I can't have enough citra hops I'm my freezer after this brew. Cheers. I'm brewing this up again very soon. I have a 12er left of the real ZD to compare which is always a fun test. :)

so All clones look good.. but are we thinking that 88 is the closes. I called my LHBS and they just got in 44oz of 2011 citra, nice right, 2usd per oz.

I just got this into the carboy last night. I chose to go with the London ESB since I'd never tried it before. Definitely filled the house with lovely aromas during the brew. This was the first time I'd heard about first wort hops and I was pleased with all the oils coming out using that technique. I'm hoping this combined with a dry hop in the secondary will make this a great beer.

Back