3 day fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irish91001

Professional Amateur Homebrewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made an Irish Red Saturday and pitched the yeast around 73 degrees. The O.G. was 1.058. didn't really ever notice a vigorous fermentation like my last batch which was swirling around like crazy, so I took another reading. Today (less than 3 days) it read 1.019. Is this possible to ferment so fast? I I keep the fermenter in a controlled 65 degree fridge. What should I do next?

totally 30hrs pitch 1.052 to 1.012 for wlp380 most beers ferment quicker than people realize as the CO2 takes time to come out of solution and so the krausen persists making people think it is still going. As always said SG reading is the only sign of fermentation you trust.

Clem

+...some number. Letting the batch run warm with a vigorous yeast strain can result in an amazingly quick primary. On the down side, sometimes that can also result in some pretty harsh results...

Cheers!

I've legged and force carbed a pale ale within 8 days. So not incredibly crazy by any means. And it certainly wasnt harsh

Since getting restarted at our new place I've been having a similar problem. Mine have been go strong for 24-36 hrs then acting as if they've been done for weeks. I still leave them another 7-10 days before starting to check the gravity tho. Still is a bit unnerving tho.

Since getting restarted at our new place I've been having a similar problem. Mine have been go strong for 24-36 hrs then acting as if they've been done for weeks. I still leave them another 7-10 days before starting to check the gravity tho. Still is a bit unnerving tho.

Why would it be unnerving. If you control the ferment temp, there's no reason to be concerned that the beer ferments in 2 or 3 days.

Nothing unexpected with a quick fermentation - if you pitched enough yeast, oxygenated well, and controlled temps. I find most of my ales are at FG on day 4 but they get 10 to 14 days on the yeast to help in cleanup prior to kegging. I also tend to take them up 5 or so degrees once they are near FG to assist if I can catch the tail end of fermentation with a few points to go.

irish91001 said:
I made an Irish Red Saturday and pitched the yeast around 73 degrees. The O.G. was 1.058. didn't really ever notice a vigorous fermentation like my last batch which was swirling around like crazy, so I took another reading. Today (less than 3 days) it read 1.019. Is this possible to ferment so fast? I I keep the fermenter in a controlled 65 degree fridge. What should I do next?

The only thing that really stands out to me is that you say you pitched the yeast into 73 degree wort but your fermenter is at a controlled 65. I've always tried to pitch as close to fermenting temp as possible. The only time I didn't my fermentation did exactly what yours did, short and a bit shy of target FG.

i just bottled a saison which had fermented fast for the first 3 days. OG was 1.05. At day 5 reading was 1.008. Left in primary for another 4 days and transfered to secondary with the same 1.008 reading. Left in secondary to clarify for 7 more days. At time of bottling the reading was still 1.008. Will not try until Sept 10th. I used the Wyeast 3711 French Saison and kept the temp around 74-76 degrees. All samples were awesome. When I try the finished brew, I will update.

Shrug, when you follow the same process you tend to expect at least similar results. Previously it was taking about ~7 to 8 days to consistently hit the same mark I'm hitting in 24-36 hours now. Fortunately I don't have an overly sensitive tongue so any lost flavors are probably lost on me anyway. Not to mention beer around here is suspect at best (save for the people making their own perhaps). It also sucks because the airlock endlessly entertained one of my kidlets before and now it's more of a "Don't blink or you'll miss it!"

Accidic said:
Shrug, when you follow the same process you tend to expect at least similar results. Previously it was taking about ~7 to 8 days to consistently hit the same mark I'm hitting in 24-36 hours now. Fortunately I don't have an overly sensitive tongue so any lost flavors are probably lost on me anyway. Not to mention beer around here is suspect at best (save for the people making their own perhaps). It also sucks because the airlock endlessly entertained one of my kidlets before and now it's more of a "Don't blink or you'll miss it!"

Looks like you'll just have to brew more often to solve the problem!

Nothing unexpected with a quick fermentation - if you pitched enough yeast, oxygenated well, and controlled temps. I find most of my ales are at FG on day 4 but they get 10 to 14 days on the yeast to help in cleanup prior to kegging. I also tend to take them up 5 or so degrees once they are near FG to assist if I can catch the tail end of fermentation with a few points to go.
Yeah, I will just let it sit in the primary for another week which will give it about 11 days, then I will transfer it. I've noticed a lot of people raise the temp a few degrees at the end. How does this help?

irish91001 said:
Yeah, I will just let it sit in the primary for another week which will give it about 11 days, then I will transfer it. I've noticed a lot of people raise the temp a few degrees at the end. How does this help?

From my understanding higher temps equals more active yeast. This helps to ensure there isn't a stuck fermentation and also encourages the little yeasties to clean up then beer.

If you re-pitch yeast and control temps you can be at FG incredibly fast. What I've been doing and I am finding it to work well (good results) was to rack to a secondary container at the 3-4 day mark. I know this goes against some common convention, but you're not stopping fermentation per say, you're just racking off spent yeast and trub. The wort is still cloudy and yeast-filled, so you may still drop some points.

Then I let it sit in secondary for a month, and if I plan to keg I'll make the last week @ 35F or so.

Latest posts

Back