3/8 in. ID or OD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radler

Reaction score
I am trying to build a chiller but I forget if I have heard that the copper tubing should be 3/8 in. diameter on the inside or outside. Or maybe it's not that measurement at all. Anybody want to comment on how much they have payed to make one of these. Thanks.

That would be OD. The outer diameter. At fist I was going to make one but the cost involved (now that they have increased in price) as well as the pain in making it did not add up to me. I bought this one from Austin's,
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_145&products_id=902

I had heard a lot that the store made ones are not big enough and all. My first test run of it was weekend before last and I did an AG. I use two pots, not one cause I like to use my own kitchen and not brew outside, but I was able to cool 3 gal wort batches to pitchable temperatures inside 15 minutes. I figure if I go full batches at some time I can convert this to a counterflow chiller if needed. Right now like I said, I'm pretty happy with it and space wise it is certainly taking enough room.

By the way... less then one week after I bought this, the price went from $40 to $50...

I must admit I had expected the response to come back as ID. I was looking at some today with 3/8 in. OD and they just looked so small. Also the one I had seen recently in a store all put together looked much thicker. I can get 25 ft of 3/8 in OD for $23 here in Vermont.

That's a very good price. Suppliers don't seem to have caught up to your area yet. How much wort do you plan to cool? A lot of people make them out of 50 foot spools.

That's what I did. I bought a 50' coil of 3/8 at the hardware store, tightened the coil, bent over the ends and added compression fittings. Nice and easy.

Haven't built mine yet. However, a family friend is a plumber...I asked him what kind of discount he could get on a 25' roll. He walks over to the truck...pulls out a brand new roll....cuts off maybe 8" and says...here...take whats left of this open roll. :D

All he asked for was a 12-pack of homebrew.:rockin:

-Todd

Haven't built mine yet. However, a family friend is a plumber...I asked him what kind of discount he could get on a 25' roll. He walks over to the truck...pulls out a brand new roll....cuts off maybe 8" and says...here...take whats left of this open roll. :D

All he asked for was a 12-pack of homebrew.:rockin:

-Todd
I got three March pumps for three growlers. Had to change the heads on one for the SS high temp, but the price was right. Beer for bartering is the only way to go!

Back