2nd in the bucket.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tharlanjr

Reaction score
Well, I started my 2nd batch tonight and bottled my first batch.

I got a couple concerns I figured I would post up about.

When I was using the auto-siphon it would get air pockets no matter how I tried to get it going. So oxygen was introduced to the beer. Not a lot, but a bit. Am I in trouble? Also I added the priming sugar as directed, but it didn't really give much info. I put the 5oz packet for the 5 gal that was left. Will I have bottle bombs?

Also when I was boiling the 2nd batch I added the last bit of hops at 30 min left instead of the 15min left point. What kinda flavors will that do? Then to top it off I added the yeast and airated before taking my OG reading. It was supposed to be 1.052 and it read 1.056. Not too far off.

I'm stoked to be getting so close to tasting the first beer!!!

Your Co2 should be around 2.7. A fair amount but not anywhere near bottle bombs.

A little hop flavor was left. Too late now. Still BEER!!!

When I was using the auto-siphon it would get air pockets no matter how I tried to get it going. So oxygen was introduced to the beer. Not a lot, but a bit. Am I in trouble?

Also when I was boiling the 2nd batch I added the last bit of hops at 30 min left instead of the 15min left point. What kinda flavors will that do? Then to top it off I added the yeast and airated before taking my OG reading. It was supposed to be 1.052 and it read 1.056. Not too far off.

I'm stoked to be getting so close to tasting the first beer!!!

Think of serving tea and as you bring the spoonful of sugar to the next person's tea, a few grains of sugar drop into the first cup. Will you notice the difference? Same with a few bubbles of air in your beer, not enough to notice. The longer the hops are boiled the more bittering they will do and the more flavor will be boiled away. Your beer may taste a little more bitter but it will still be good beer and while not quite as flavorful as the recipe would have it the flavor will still be good too.

Please do go ahead and drink a bit of your beer early, maybe a week after you put it in the bottle but don't judge the beer on that sample. Save a bunch of it in the bottles for another 2 to 4 weeks and then sample again and compare the flavors. I'll bet you learn to be patient and wait for your beer to age a bit the next time. :rockin:

sweet, g;ad to know I should be ok.

I have been tasting it the whole time. From right after boil. when we transfered to secondary then when we bottled it.

Our first batch was an American wheat, it only calls for 2 weeks in the primary then bottle it. We did a little more than two weeks in primary then a week and a half in secondary before bottling it.

Our 2nd batch is Caribou Slobber and it going to be at least a month before bottles.

Latest posts

Back