2nd brew. Secondary question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I racked my beer to the secondary 2 days ago. I made sure my primary fermentation was complete. So, there should not be any activity in there but the the airlock looks like there is some type of activity I have not sat there long enough to see any bubbling but the middle piece is floating meaning there is something going on. My conclusion is it's either trapped air or CO2 that is leaking out very slowly. Im hoping it is trapped CO2 or could it be O2 which I know is horribly bad for the aging beer. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

what was your estimated FG and when you transfered to secondary was it there. If it wasnt you will either finish a little on the weak side or it will finish in secondary. Its prob just some trapped o2 or co2. dont worry about it. also if your beer warms up from when it was transfered then the airlock went on the wort will have some minimal expansion and push some gases out.

There is sometimes some activity after you rack to secondary, because you have re-roused the yeast in the moving process, and some of them start working again (it's the same principal as rolling bottles if they haven't carbed)....So they're having a bit of a housewarming party!

It's normal....:D

+1 on Revvy's comments. There's still yeast in suspension and it may be working just a bit. For this same reason, you get carbonation when you add priming sugar.

It's actually a good sign that your airlock is bumping up a bit, that means you have some CO2 on top of your beer, pushing any O2 that may be in there away from it.

I nearly always see this sort of thing a few days after racking.

Back