2nd brew in fermentor. Troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beefysal

Reaction score
This brewers best witbier has been in primary for 5 days. Not sure it's supposed to look like this

image-3885563116.jpg

I know that the airlock is not a sign of much. It just never bubbled. There were no plans to do anything. I wanted to make sure things looked ok. My first "steep to convert"

It looks fine to me. That looks like krausen on the top so it is fermenting. Just give it some more time.

BUCKETS AND BUBBLING: I like to see the bubbles but bucket lids do tend to leak so you may never see them. I have 3 bucket fermenters, one of which always bubbles, on that never bubbles, and one that has a mind of its own about whether to bubble or not. If you are worried, open the fermenter (like you did) and look for krausen, the browninsh bubbling stuff or the ring it leaves on the side of the bucket. If you don't see either sign at the end of the third day, use a hydrometer to see if the gravity has changed. If it hasn't changed, add new yeast. This rarely happens unless you do something to kill all the yeast though.

It looks normal to me. I have a porter in my glass Carboy fermentor and it is also at day 5. It looks identical to yours. It's a looks like the tail end of active fermentation. I agree, you should leave it to finish its work. Enjoy.

If it looks like a truck stop bathroom that hasn't been cleaned for a couple of days, you're on the right track

I brewed an extract Dunkelweizen last year, and the airlock hardly gave a single bubble during the entire fermentation. I use buckets for fermenters too. So... after 2.5 weeks in the fermenter, I checked the FG and it was right on the money. So off to the keg it went... it was pretty yummy.

Gary

Latest posts

Back