2nd Batch is a La Chouffe Clone but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aholloway17

Reaction score
I have a couple questions! Below is the recipie I am using but my question are as follows;

Do I add the sugar at the beginning of the boil?
Do I add a priming sugar?
After everything cools down I strain in to carboy and pitch yest?
Is there anything glaringly wrong with the recipie below?

Thanks,

6 lb Munich Liquid Extract (11.0 SRM)
3.5lb pale malt extract syrup
11.3 oz crystal malt
1.1 lb white sucrose

Start of boil
0.7 oz Golding hops
0.5 oz Styrian Goldings
0.7 oz Saaz

Last 15 minutes of boil
0.3 oz Irish moss- though you could use another fining agent
0.15 oz ground coriander seed
0.15 oz ground cumin seed
0.08 oz ground caraway seed

Boil time- 90 minutes. The original gravity should be about 1080.
Use a top fermenting yeast suitable for strong ales and rack when the gravity hits around 1014.

Boil time- 90 minutes. The original gravity should be about 1080.
Use a top fermenting yeast suitable for strong ales and rack when the gravity hits around 1014.

Your first few questions make me think that you need this:
howtobrew.com
It's the best book out there, and it's all online.

I doubt there's anything to worry about with the recipe other than level of difficulty, considering you're still honing your process.

The most important thing: If you want this to taste anything like LaChouffe you need a Belgian yeast...not just any ale yeast. Pitch the yeast in the low 70s, then wrap a towel, sleeping bag, sweat shirt, whatever you have around the carboy or bucket. This yeast needs to get up to 80-85*F in order to give the appropriate character and to dry out the beer enough.

good luck.:mug:

Do I add the sugar at the beginning of the boil?

1. You can, Its not super-important as long as you boil it for at least 15 minutes. So to make it easy, I would just add it at the beginning.

2. Not now... after its done fermenting you will add priming sugar for carbonation... I agree with the earlier post: You should read How To Brew

3. Yes, you will want to filter out. Although some may disagree that its necessary. I do it simply because it makes for a cleaner product down the road and because it helps to aerate the wort which is good at this stage.

4. Not familiar with the La Chouffe, but otherwise nothing looks glaringly wrong- just looks exceedingly lacking in details. For example: Steeping time on the crystal, Which yeast (although I would agree with the earlier post as well and go with Belgian Abbey II from Wyeast)

Thanks for the tips and link, I've already downloaded the materials. Despite the oversized flat screen for computer viewing I still enjoy reading off the page. Sorry that the recipie was lacking in detail I was actually trying make it easier to read.

I have the detail from steeping time to Belgian Yeast and would be happy to post if anyone is interested.

Thanks again,

AH

Good luck on your brew. I was just concerned about the lack of detail on the recipe because it seemed like you were fairly new and that beer is a bit more complex than most. But if you have more detailed instructions, then you should be fine. Enjoy!

Back