24V DC Power Supply & PWM Controller help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcmillen

Reaction score
I am in the planning process of replacing my direct fire, single tier, 3 keggle, 2 pump system with an electric system and rims. I've pretty much decided to replace my 2 chugger pumps with the tan 24v pumps and add a third for my rims.

I want to get one of the tan pumps in so I can play around with it which means I will need a 24v power supply => 5a or 120w. Since I want to be able to control the speed of all three pumps, I will need a ps with 3 outputs. However, I am having trouble finding a din rail mounted ps that has 3 outputs. Lots with 2 outputs. I found a Wago that has 4 outputs but it is not din rail mounted and it is big and heavy. I would like this to fit in my control panel.

For the PWM controller, I see a lot of them on ebay and amazon, but most don't have much information. Do I need to be concerned with the PWM frequency? In reading through several threads several people mentioned the PWM frequency. Now I have to say that 'm not an electrician, although I have wired a lot of things up including building my own stir plate so I'm usually pretty good at figuring things out, but the electric brewing is testing me pretty good.

I welcome any suggestions on the 24v power supply and the PWM controller.

you only need one output on the din power supply since you can add as many connections as you need there. You take the 24v and split it off after the powersupply to go to the pwm boards and then each pump.

the pwm board just takes the 24v and pulses it at different speeds to make the motor run at those speeds. since they go into the wiring after the power supply between it and the pump, the same 5a power supply will work for up to 3 pumps running simultaniously which is highly unlikely. in fact I have 4 outputs on my panel for 4 pumps and am only using a 5 amp supply now.

you only need one output on the din power supply since you can add as many connections as you need there. You take the 24v and split it off after the powersupply to go to the pwm boards and then each pump.
Thanks augiedoggy. That simplifies things. Would probably only have 2 pumps going at one time. Anything I need to be aware of with the pwm boards?

24khz works well... some of the led dimmers out there work at a lower frequency Ive been told isnt as good for driving the motors well.

Back