240v power supply troubleshooting for noobie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obeahsf

Reaction score
Hey all,

I know there are several related threads, but I haven't found anything that addresses my questions exactly. Sorry for redundancy, if in fact this is a repeat.

I am putting together a 10gal system running 5500w heating elements. I am in a rental and have one 220v outlet that is being used by a dryer. I do not have the budget to install another 220, nor do I have permission. I also plan to move in a few years to a permanent location, and would like my expenditures to be more liquid than a $600 install I have to leave.

I saw that Kal mentioned it should be fine to used an appropriate gauged extension to run from dryer outlet. I wonder if there is a 2-outlet extension (splitter) that people might recommend, so that I don't have to pull the dryer out every time I brew. Obviously I would not use dryer and brewery at the same time. Is this even advisable?

Also, due to my supreme lack of understanding of electricity, is it possible to use a step up converter like one of the following instead of going into the dryer outlet?

http://www.220-electronics.com/diamond-series-voltage-converters-stabilizers.html

http://www.220converters.com/Step-U...nVJCWZmFyE6k8BKb4wXB0bWUaXor3ERc_gaAlb48P8HAQ

I assume if I use the latter, I can install GFCI inline? Do I also need to add something to bridge my main breaker?

Thank you for any assistance to a novice.

Those boxes are probably not a good idea, because regardless of what cicuitry inside of them, the laws of physics still apply: I=V/R

One 5500w element is about 23 amps. Standard household 110 wiring is not usually designed to carry that amount of current. An extension setup with a GFCI box is probably to best approach.

I'll take it a step further and say those converters are a terrible idea. They're not a solution to your problem.

Unless you really need to brew and do laundry at the same time, seems to me your problem isn't that you need to split the dryer circuit, you just need to be able to more easily access the plug. It's not hard to unplug the dryer and plug in your brew rig right? (Given easy access to the plug.) Short extension to a more convenient location and Bob's your uncle. Bonus points for boxing the female end and mounting it, but in a rental I don't know.

I would go with what DavidChop says and get a short extension cord to get easier access to the plug for use with the drier or your elements. McMaster-Carr has some that come with a GFCI installed inline or you could assemble one yourself if you feel confident. Again MMC is a good source. Just make sure you use large (10 at least ) gauge cable, and keep it as short as possible.

Sorry- Also what golfindia said.

I built a splitter type y with additional dryer cords and Junction boxes. Is your dryer 3 or 4 wire?
Keep in mind, I only run one at a time; I just didn't want to pull out the dryer for each brew day.

Unless you really need to brew and do laundry at the same time, seems to me your problem isn't that you need to split the dryer circuit, you just need to be able to more easily access the plug. It's not hard to unplug the dryer and plug in your brew rig right? (Given easy access to the plug.) Short extension to a more convenient location and Bob's your uncle.

That seems to be the best solution. I will probably have to fashion a custom extension, NEMA 10-30 on one end and L6-30 on the other -easy enough. Thanks!

I would go with what DavidChop says and get a short extension cord to get easier access to the plug for use with the drier or your elements. McMaster-Carr has some that come with a GFCI installed inline or you could assemble one yourself if you feel confident. Again MMC is a good source. Just make sure you use large (10 at least ) gauge cable, and keep it as short as possible.

Thanks for the heads up about MMC. They have a 6ft GFCI in-line L6-30 cord for $179. GFCIstore.com has a similar 2 ft. cord for $142. Will still need an adapter on both end for this though with my 3 prong (10-30) dryer outlet and cord. I'm thinking because of this, there may be a more economical choice than in-line GFCU. Man, it adds up quickly!

Total run from outlet to my control panel will be 12-15 ft.

Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back