240V GFI problem sorted! Thank you!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jguthner

Reaction score
I've been looking for a solution to my electric brewing conundrum: How to brew in multiple areas of my home (we finally have a dedicated brew space in the basement and the garage!) without breaking the bank. Luckily, my main panel is in my basement brew space, so I had an electrician put in a 240 outlet right next to my panel, and then make a short run onto the back wall of the garage for a second outlet. This only cost me a couple hundred bucks, and was the part I was not comfortable doing myself. He wanted way too much money to put in a long run to the front wall of the garage with 2 GFI breakers in my main panel, so I started surfing the forum for a solution.

One trip to Home Depot later, I came away with a 50A spa panel, 20 feet of 10/4 SOOW and a 15 foot 4-prong dryer cord. After finding some wiring diagrams on these forums that really helped me out, I now have a "portable" GFI 240V outlet that I can move between my brew spaces depending on if I want to brew indoors or outdoors. Added bonus: we move around a lot, so this lets me take my GFI brewing outlet with me to future houses without ever rewiring my main panel with expensive GFI breakers.

Just wanted to say thanks, and I can't wait to start brewing with electricity! (The wiring diagram picture is what I based my build on...I've since lost the post so I'm not sure who to give the credit to. If it's you, thank you!)

*Not pictured: The plywood stand I'll use to elevate my 14-30 receptacle so it's up off the ground while brewing.
20210705_195154.jpg20210705_195201.jpg20210705_195252.jpg20210705_195348.jpgGFCI Wiring.jpg

Back