2014 Winter Olympics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm tired of the "finger painting" Women hockey is every bit exciting as men's hockey. Curling rocks, but I miss the old brooms.

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Stink bomb Slovaks are taking mother Russia to another shoutout. I guess Kovy will be the only shooter for Russia.

How many hours of figure skating can there be? I like the old days, they had the single woman's which included the school figures that they no longer do, the men single, and pairs, that was enough. If I wanted to watch all the rest of this crap I'd tune to ballroom dancing or Dancing with the stars.

Stink bomb Slovaks are taking mother Russia to another shoutout. I guess Kovy will be the only shooter for Russia.

Finland may pull an upset. Russia looked weak in their grouping. US took it to Slovakia and beat Slovenia way more convincingly. If the Fins pull the upset it would be the ultimate in Schadenfreude.

Russia is kind of like the Argentina of hockey. Their attacking players are amazing with Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, etc. But their defenders and goalies are nothing to write home about. Still think that Canada likely takes it, but the US getting on the podium would rock. Canada just has too much going for them, deep defensively, and tons of weapons offensively.

US seems to be coasting along thanks heavily to having no weaknesses, strong tending, strong defense, and strong offense. They're not the best in any of those categories most likely, they're just doing great across the board. Kind of like how the Seahawks won the Superbowl, they weren't heavily weighted offensively or defensively, they were great.

How many hours of figure skating can there be? I like the old days, they had the single woman's which included the school figures that they no longer do, the men single, and pairs, that was enough. If I wanted to watch all the rest of this crap I'd tune to ballroom dancing or Dancing with the stars.

Spot on! Then again, how many hours of curling and hockey does anyone need? For me, it's none.
Shouldn't there be a large amount of personal athletic effort involved to be included in the Olympics? Isn't that what it was about back in the Greek era?

Now being able to go downhill an icy slope on a pair of skinny slats at 70-80 mph, without breaking every bone in your body, still boggles my mind. How does that measure up against say, curling? Come on!

Still haven't tuned into any curling. The hockey action has been exciting so far. I'm kind of surprised by Russia's play. Really liking Team USA so far. Canada is strong, as always, as expected.

Things will defintely get more interesting after the preliminary rounds.

Still haven't tuned into any curling. The hockey action has been exciting so far. I'm kind of surprised by Russia's play. Really liking Team USA so far. Canada is strong, as always, as expected.

Things will defintely get more interesting after the preliminary rounds.

Dude, they got beat yesterday but you really need to find some re-runs of the Russian women's curling team. ;)

russia-womens-curling-team.jpg

Ugh. I just checked the score. Oh well, anytime you can compete with the Canadian in Hockey, you're doing something right. Couple of amazing women's teams this time.

Gonna vent here for a sec...

The refs didn't cause the US to lose, they did that all on their own by choking away a 2-goal lead with 3:30 to play, but...

The refs in overtime were a disgrace. The slashing call against the US was laughable. Completely obvious attempt to even it back up after the call against Canada (I wouldn't have minded them letting that one go, it's overtime in the gold medal game for Pete's sake). Then, not content with that, they double-down on stupid and call a US player for crosschecking (????) a Canadian player on a clear breakaway. That should have been a penalty shot, no doubt. Even in overtime in a gold medal game. The sum total of those blown calls was an extended power play for Canada (the US got 5 seconds of one earlier) on which they scored the golden goal. If the penalty shot had been called, Canada would have either won the game there (and I wouldn't be nearly as upset at the officials) or the game would have continued with Canada seeing a brief 5 second power play.

Ok. I feel better now. Canada played great and deserved the gold, so congrat to them. Now the US men need to step up and bury the Canadian men tomorrow to make up for it!!!! :)

Canada is dominating right now. US needs to figure some way to get something going on offense. Quick is keeping them in this.

Canada's lone goal came off a faceoff in the American zone after a really iffy icing call, but they've been putting lots of pressure on Quick, so it was only a matter of time, really. Great goal by Benn.

Canada was clearly the better team. Absolutely dominated in the offensive zone, and put the clamps down in the defensive zone. That game wasn't nearly as close as the score indicates. Should have been about 4 or 5-0, if not for the outstanding play of Jonathan Quick.

I'm an Indiana boy, Southern Indiana, meaning, I can see Kentucky from my back porch, literally, but DANG, I love me some Canadian babes!

US has some tough luck (Rask has been a force and Kane just missing the penalty is bad luck) but I can't believe Quick let old ass Teemu Selanne beat him. Second goal he didn't have much he could do with. But overall he wasn't great in that stretch and the offense has not been doing their job the last 2 games.

I was driving to a soccer game when it happened, but how is it even physically possible to give up 2 goals in 11 sec? Did US pull the keeper in the 2nd period?

Latest posts

Back