2014 Hop rhizome Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the feedback. I was just trying to find creative and economic ways to swap hop plants.

BR, your initial idea works. Let me present the idea this way. By providing moisture, the plant (hopefully) won't dry out during its voyage. By closing the bag, you're preventing the moisture from escaping. Using cold water to dampen the paper towels, you lower the temperature and therefore lower the amount of respiration occurring in the plant tissue wrapped inside (it's not dead yet!).

The only issue then is to make sure the plant tissue arrives in time before one of several things happens. The most obvious being the cutting dehydrates before it reaches its destination. Second, fungal spores and insects, careful inspection should go into making sure the material is clean from pests. Third, viruses, while many plants are free from all issues, material should only be shared from clean stock. Remember that some varieties are also asymptomatic carriers as well.

Fair warning to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

BR, your initial idea works. Let me present the idea this way. By providing moisture, the plant (hopefully) won't dry out during its voyage. By closing the bag, you're preventing the moisture from escaping. Using cold water to dampen the paper towels, you lower the temperature and therefore lower the amount of respiration occurring in the plant tissue wrapped inside (it's not dead yet!).

The only issue then is to make sure the plant tissue arrives in time before one of several things happens. The most obvious being the cutting dehydrates before it reaches its destination. Second, fungal spores and insects, careful inspection should go into making sure the material is clean from pests. Third, viruses, while many plants are free from all issues, material should only be shared from clean stock. Remember that some varieties are also asymptomatic carriers as well.

Fair warning to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Excellent, thanks for the information. I am going to do more research and try to learn as much as possible about the different ways hops can be traded.

Cascade rhizomes ready, anyone have Centennial or Chinook? PM me

001.jpg

But I did order some rhizomes online this year. I live in Philadelphia, PA and a few of my friends and I plan on growing and home-brewing. One friend has a rooftop garden, and the other friend has a large plot of sunny land. We plan on doing half in ground, and half in a 250 gallon planter, in other words 4 plants at each location.

I ordered from a variety of sources online. First I tried Midwestsupplies, I ordered 1 cascade, 1 columbus, and 1 nugget. This order was purchased on 3/12 and they still have not shipped as of today(3/25). After a few days of no delivery, I tried northwesthops.com. I placed my order on 3/17, they shipped it on 3/19 and I had them in the soil by 3/20 and now its 3/25 and all three rhizomes have sprouted (Cascade, Centennial, Nugget).

I recently contacted a local PA grower(3/22), centralpennhops.com, I talked to Derrick via email. He basically told me that he has only sold his hops to local brewers in the past and never propagated his crowns for rhizomes. His operation is pretty small from what I could tell from his website, but he was extremely nice and helpful. He gladly got his hands dirty and picked some rhizomes for me. He mailed me 3 rhizomes free of charge. I figured I owe Derrick, and Central Penn Hops a real thank you and that's basically why I wrote this really long post.

So basically, Midwestsupplies sucks, Northwesthops.com is very fast, and Centralpennhops.com is outright amazing.

Derrick is a great guy, we have been dealing/ helping each other out for a few years. His hop yard is very impressive the last time I was up there, but right now he is expanding and needs rootstock. Midwest has a great rep and customer service, I am sure something is up maybe the weather this year that makes it hard on all of us.

I still have some rhizomes for sale. They are all 3 ea and 6 shipping for up to 12. The cascades are 2 ea or 6 for 10.

2014 RHIZOMES

CASCADE
CHINOOK
CENTENAL
GLACIER
HALLERTAU
MAGNUM
GOLDING
TETNAG
FUGGLE
WILLIIMETTE
NUGGETT
GALENA

I AM WILLING TO TRADE FOR VARIETIES I DO NOT HAVE TO TRY OUT. Or if you want I can send you an invoice if you give me your e-mail address. My paypal is [email protected]. You can just send payment and make sure in the remarks is your HBT username, full mailing address and what you ordered.

If you are in the Denver/Aurora Colorado area, I will thin out my Centennial after this latest storm. If you want any rhizomes, you can PM me and come over to dig some up.

I certainly understand the frustration

It has been 40 days since I placed my order with Midwest Supplies. I called to check on the order today and they assured me it would be arriving soon. They just told me over the phone that the orders shipped out on the 7th but never thought to send me a confirmation email.

I haven't gotten my two rhizo's either yet. I was about to call Midwest, as I got an email 2 1/2 weeks ago saying they would ship shortly.

I have a feeling that Midwest is simply the middle man here and the hop farm ships direct. I could be wrong on this though.

Back