2013 Columbus and Summit crop qualities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahurd110

Reaction score
Hello all,

Has anyone had any experience with the 2013 ctz or summit crops yet? I know both of these hops can get a bit oniony, hoping that isn't the case this year. Any reports from vendors would be appreciated as well.
Thanks!

Disappointing with summit this year, homebrew and commercially. Well...I must say that 2012 was amazing, all tangerine and no onion or garlic. So take that for what its worth, but I still got a pound in the freezer

I'm interested in hearing about the Columbus as well. Id like to pick some up but I hear it can be pretty variable.

I've used some of the 2013 Columbus and still have a good portion in my freezer as well. I cannot complain about it. It seems to be pretty good. Strong stuff, but pretty good.

Disappointing to hear about the Summit not being as good as 2012. Anyone else have any experience they can share?

I have no experience with any other Summit. I did however get some from Farmhouse Brew this year and tried it out recently. Brewed on 12-20 and bottled on 1-10.

The beer had
.25 @ FWH, .25 @ 20 and .25 @ 10 - Summit
.50 @ FWH, .50 @ 20 and 2 @ 10 - Amarillo
and some Dry hops not involving Summit.

It was pure onion/garlic during any gravity sample and during bottle day. I opened one up tonight and there is only a faint bit of onion (if any.)
*I know that I opened my beer when it was very young, but I wanted to observe the way the Summit is changing itself*

It was pure onion/garlic during any gravity sample and during bottle day. I opened one up tonight and there is only a faint bit of onion (if any.)
*I know that I opened my beer when it was very young, but I wanted to observe the way the Summit is changing itself*

This is common and often does fade into the dank tangerinish signature summit taste and aroma. I just dont think it is as potent as last years harvests, not that this means its bad this year, just not as good

Ah, I see. I knew from researching that was going to happen, just thought I would add my experience from this year. It is a very interesting hop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Home Brew mobile app

I can't say for certain which year the crop was from, but I had a very fresh Green Flash Double Columbus on draft a week ago and it was great, I tasted nothing but pine resin.

Back